Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Ham Split Pea Soup
Slow cooker ham split pea soup is a longtime family favorite.
A perfect winter soup, filling and flavorful it never fails to please.
I love to make this hearty satisfying slow cooker soup when I have leftover ham in the fridge.
Just toss the ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on LOW and in 6 to 8 hours dinner is done.
How easy is that?
Skinny on Slow Cooker Ham & Split Pea Soup
This slow cooker ham split pea soup is chock full of good-for-you ingredients including – split peas, onions, carrots and celery.
Packed with fiber, and protein, this hearty, tasty, nourishing soup will keep you full for hours.
And it’s a great way to put a leftover ham bone to work. (If you don’t have a ham bone, you can use a ham hock instead, or skip the ham bone altogether.)
According to my calculations, each generous and filling serving of slow cooker split pea soup with ham has 271 calories and *6 Weight Watchers Points Plus and *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
I recently made this soup using yellow split peas instead of green and loved the way it looked and tasted.
Which got me to thinking about more variations you could make to this really easy healthy slow cooker split pea soup—beyond just changing up the color of split peas…
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe Variations:
vegetarian/vegan – skip the ham bone and ham and use vegetable broth . Add a little olive oil for richness if you want, adjusting the points as necessary if you’re following weight watchers.
different – get creative like this split pea soup with bacon and tomatoes Mom made. Experiment with spices like cayenne, cumin, curry powder, garlic, ginger, mace, marjoram, oregano, paprika, turmeric… And vegetables, cauliflower, parsnips, potatoes or sweet potatoes. Change out the ham for smoked turkey.
stovetop – simmer gently on the stovetop instead of in the slow cooker until the peas are soft and mixture is sludgy, adding more water or broth as necessary, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
kid-friendly – skip the ham and add slices or chunks of hot dogs at the end.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this split pea soup with ham, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slow Cooker Ham and Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups (16 ounces) dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup cooked diced ham
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6- Quart.
- In your slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients except the diced ham.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until peas are tender.
- Stir well.
- Remove the ham bone and bay leaves and then stir in the diced ham.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker ham and split pea soup, you might also like:
- Leftover Ham Bone Soup – This crock pot soup is an easy and delicious way to use up a holiday ham bone
- Split Pea, Ham and Barley Soup – Hearty and satisfying with 8 Weight Watchers Points+ found at Skinny Kitchen
- Gina’s Split Pea Soup with Ham – Simple, healthy and delicious with 2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints from Skinny Taste
- Simple Split Pea and Ham Soup – Hearty, warming and filling with 4 WW Points+ found at Taste of Home
- Vegetable Beef Mushroom Barley Soup – A healthy hearty soup recipe for the slow cooker
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew – a simple and delicious slow cooker soup with 2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
- Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup – Easy, healthy, hearty and delicious mexican style soup
- Spicy Slow Southern Style Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas – not soup, but a wonderful healthy southern side dish
- Skinny Potato Leek Soup – easy and delicious with 3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
In this video, the Sweet Pea Chef demonstrates making her version of slow cooker split pea soup with a ham bone:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!