WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef & Mushroom Barley Soup
(275 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
As Ellie Krieger says, when introducing this recipe, “Who says you can’t have both beef and mushrooms in your barley soup?
When it comes to soup, I believe the more vegetables the better and this healthy slow cooker vegetable beef and mushroom barley soup proves it.
Full of chunks of tender beef, earthy mushrooms, chewy barley and an array of colorful vegetables, this is a delicious low calorie meal in a bowl that will warm you inside and out.
The Skinny on Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef & Mushroom Barley Soup
Although, Ellie’s recipe is for a stove top soup, I turned this into a slow cooker vegetable beef barley soup recipe with wonderful results.
For a lazy cook like me, slow cookers and soup recipes are a match made in heaven.
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cup serving of this slow cooker soup has about 275 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Vegetable Beef Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe Notes
Although Ellie, made this on the stove, I turned it into a slow cooker soup recipe with great results. Add whatever vegetables you like.
The last time I made this I added green beans, and chopped leftover Swiss chard and it was delicious.
Corn, peas, turnips and parsnips are other great choices.
If you’ve made this hearty Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Healthy Vegetable Beef and Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 2 teaspoons minced garlic in a jar
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Dry off the meat with paper towels and then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Scrape the mixture from the skillet into the slow cooker. (If there are any browned bits still remaining in the skillet, add a little of the beef broth to de-glaze the pan and then add to the slow cooker.)
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, broth, tomatoes, barley, and thyme to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of parsley, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Vegetable Beef Barley Soups for Weight Watchers from around the Web:
Easy Vegetable Beef Barley Soup – A quick and easy soup with ground beef and frozen mixed vegetables with 230 calories, 5 g fat, and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values found at Betty Crocker.
Barley and Beef Soup – Make this soup the night before to allow time for its flavors to develop. Makes a satisfying lunch or supper served with whole wheat bread or crackers. 275 Calories, 5 g fat and 7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
Beef Barley Soup – Flavored with carrots, celery and onions from SkinnyTaste.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!