As Ellie Krieger says, when introducing this recipe, “Who says you can’t have both beef and mushrooms in your barley soup?
When it comes to soup, I believe the more vegetables the better and this healthy slow cooker vegetable beef and mushroom barley soup proves it.
Full of chunks of tender beef, earthy mushrooms, chewy barley and an array of colorful vegetables, this is a delicious low calorie meal in a bowl that will warm you inside and out.
SALE ends in...
Not sure its right for you?
No worries, that's why we've got a 30 day full happiness guarantee.
The Skinny on Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef & Mushroom Barley Soup
Although, Ellie’s recipe is for a stove top soup, I turned this into a slow cooker vegetable beef barley soup recipe with wonderful results.
For a lazy cook like me, slow cookers and soup recipes are a match made in heaven.
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cup serving of this slow cooker soup has about 275 calories and 7* WW PointsPlus.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ pound beef stew meat cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 2 teaspoons minced garlic in a jar
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Dry off the meat with paper towels and then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Scrape the mixture from the skillet into the slow cooker. (If there are any browned bits still remaining in the skillet, add a little of the beef broth to de-glaze the pan and then add to the slow cooker.)
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, broth, tomatoes, barley, and thyme to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of parsley, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Vegetable Beef Barley Soups for Weight Watchers from around the Web:
Easy Vegetable Beef Barley Soup – A quick and easy soup with ground beef and frozen mixed vegetables with 230 calories, 5 g fat, and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values found at Betty Crocker.
Barley and Beef Soup – Make this soup the night before to allow time for its flavors to develop. Makes a satisfying lunch or supper served with whole wheat bread or crackers. 275 Calories, 5 g fat and 7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms – and parsnips from Prevention’s Sugar Solution Cookbook found at Prevention.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.