Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Crock Pot Stew Beef and Gravy
It’s been unseasonably cold and damp here in Phoenix and I’ve been craving simple hearty comfort foods. So, I decided it was the perfect time to adapt Mom’s stew beef and gravy for the slow cooker.
This yummy Crock Pot Stew Beef and Gravy is the result.
Stew beef and gravy showed up at our house quite often when I was growing up. My dad loved nothing better than meat and mashed potatoes.
So, Mom’s simple preparation of lean chunks of lean stew beef browned with chopped onion, simmered until tender and thickened with a simple slurry of flour and water was a big hit.
She always finished her gravy with a couple drops of Gravy Master, her secret ingredient for stews and gravies.
If you’re not familiar with Gravy Master, it’s a liquid browning and seasoning (similar to Kitchen Bouquet) which comes in a distinctive orange-capped glass bottle.
Mom thought it tasted best and used it religiously for gravy-making. Every time I pull it out of the cupboard, I’m transported back to Mom’s kitchen.
Are there any special foods and ingredients that have the same effect on you?
Skinny on Crock Pot Stew Beef and Gravy
I added a couple of drops of Gravy Master Browning and Seasoning at the end, which is totally optional, since it can be hard to find outside of New England.
Don’t worry, your Crock Pot Stew Beef and Gravy will still be delicious without it.
Serve over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, or if you’re taking it easy on the carbs, zucchini noodles.
According to my calculations each serving has 201 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
This is the kind of Weight Watchers friendly meal that will please young and old alike.
Crock Pot Stew Beef & Gravy Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds extra lean stew beef (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (I use 3 teaspoons jarred Better than Bouillon)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 - 2 drops of Gravy Master Browning & Seasoning (optional)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Place the oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often until the onion is golden and softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape the onion into the slow cooker.
- Pat dry the beef with paper towels and then season it with the salt and pepper.
- Add it to the skillet in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan.
- Cook, just until the sides are browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. (The meat will still be raw in the middle.)
- Scrape the meat into the slow cooker.
- Add the water, bouillon and flour to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until thickened 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over the meat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the meat is fork tender. If desired, stir in 1-2 drops of Gravy Master Browning and Seasoning at the end.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or noodles or zucchini noodles.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
I used the following to make this stew beef and gravy:
If you liked this slow cooker recipe, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!