Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
(276 calories | 6 5 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I’m beginning to think I was crazy to challenge myself to use my crock pot everyday for a year to make Weight Watchers friendly recipes and post them here on Simple Nourished Living.
Stephanie made it look so easy on her blog Crockpot365.
But it’s Not!
On the bright side – this year-long project is now more than 35% complete 🙂
I’ve got my Mom to thank for this hearty slow cooker beef stew recipe, which is adapted (a lot) from the Ninja Cooking Easier, Healthier & Better Cookbook.
Is there anything more comforting than coming home at the end of a long cold day to the smell of a hearty stew simmering away in the crock pot?
Served with some warm, crusty bread, it’s hard to beat.
Skinny on Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
There’s really no wrong way to make beef stew. I tend to use whatever combination of vegetables and seasonings I’ve got on hand and never have made it exactly the same way twice.
This makes a big batch, but the good news is that it tastes even better the next day and you can freeze the leftovers for future quick and easy dinners and/or lunches.
To make this hearty slow cooker beef stew work with Simply Filling, I think it would be necessary to omit the flour, resulting in a thinner stew.
Now that I’m in Maintenance, I’m not a Simply Filling purist (if I ever was).
And let’s be real, eating too much homemade beef stew isn’t what landed me in Weight Watchers in the first place 🙂
According to my calculations each serving has about 276 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Low Fat Beef Stew, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (4 ounces canned)
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut in cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) cut canned string beans, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6-Quart.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour to coat the meat.
- Grease the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the beef in the slow cooker.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, potatoes, onions, carrots, corn, green beans, garlic and thyme.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Stir in chopped fresh parsley.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
Source: adapted from Ninja Cooking Easier, Healthier & Better Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker beef stew, you might also like:
- Weight Watchers Italian Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew
- Hearty Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Soup
- Lightened Up Easy Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!