WW Recipe of the Day: Mashed Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Cubed sweet potatoes slow cooked with orange juice, cranberries and just a bit of butter and brown sugar until tender, then mashed all together right in the crock.
They would be a delicious addition to your turkey dinner. Or a yummy side dish any time of year.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
These slow cooker mashed potatoes with cranberries are a light and tasty alternative to traditional mashed sweet potatoes made with butter and cream.
We had them for dinner along with a simple shredded brussels sprouts salad and turkey burgers. We both loved the tart contrast provided by the cranberries and orange juice.
If, like my mom, you find the taste of sweet potatoes "too sweet," this may be a perfect dish for you.
According to my calculations each serving has 141 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made these Low-Fat Mashed Sweet Potatoes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Coat your slow cooker with nonstick spray. (I used my 2-Quart.) Place the orange juice, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cranberries in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH while you prepare the sweet potatoes.
- Add the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover and turn the slow cooker to LOW.
- Cook on LOW, until the sweet potatoes are very soft, 4 to 6 hours.
- Mash the sweet potatoes well. If they seem too dry, stir in a little more orange juice to achieve desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or hold in the slow cooker set to warm for up to one hour.
Source: Adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker by Phyllis Good
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Sweet Potato Recipes for Weight Watchers
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!