WW Recipe of the Day: Curried Sweet Potatoes with Green Peas
(116 calories | 5 4 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Here’s a quick and easy dish packed with power foods. Sweet potato, green peas, and tomatoes cooked with curry powder until heated through and then sprinkled with cilantro.
What could be easier? Or healthier?
The Skinny on Curried Sweet Potatoes with Green Peas
I thought this was the perfect healthy dish to post for this week’s return of the 38 Power Foods blog group following our holiday hiatus. We’ve now completed 2/3 of a project to cook our way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients , by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
Health Benefits of Green Peas
Rod and I both love peas. But I’ve never really thought of them as a nutritional powerhouse. In the past, I’ve even felt a little guilty when eating them since they’re so starchy, sweet and delicious (especially with mashed potatoes).
So, imagine my delight when I discovered that in addition to being a great source of fiber, protein and Vitamin C, green peas are loaded with a host of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phyto-nutrients. Now I have one more thing to feel good about as I begin the year: My love of peas!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Dish?
With just 116 calories per serving, this simple curried sweet potatoes with green peas is a 38 Power Foods winner.
The recipe is from a great little cookbook, The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet , by Nava Atlas, which is full of quick, easy, healthy recipes made from common grocery store ingredients.
According to my calculations, each serving has just 116 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this fat-free Curried Sweet Potatoes and Peas, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Curried Sweet Potatoes with Green Peas
- 3 large sweet potatoes, baked (or microwaved) in their skins until done but still firm
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes in their skins, until done but still firm. When they are cool enough to handle, peel and chop them into large 1-inch pieces.
- Put the peas and tomatoes in a large saucepan set over medium heat and bring bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and curry powder.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Lower the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Recipe Source: The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet: 250 Simple Recipes and Dozens of Healthy Menus for Eating Well Every Day , by Nava Atlas
- Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
- The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
- The World’s Healthiest Foods: Green Peas
More Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes Using Green Peas
- Weight Watchers Green Pea Soup with Yogurt Dill Cream (Weight Watchers)
- Baked Rice & Peas (SkinnyTaste)
- Ground Turkey and Potatoes with Peas (Slender Kitchen)
- Easy Healthy Shrimp Risotto with Peas (Simple Nourished Living)
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with green peas.
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!