For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
Creamy arborio rice loaded with shrimp, spinach, goat cheese, Parmesan, and peas – this easy shrimp risotto is a winner. Everyone loved it when I served it for for dinner last night.
I came up with this easy shrimp risotto by combining two recipes – the grand prize winning recipe for hearty shrimp risotto in this month’s (February/March 2012) issue of Healthy Cooking and Ina Garten’s recipe for easy Parmesan “risotto” in Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips.
As Ina explains, her recipe isn’t a classic Italian risotto, it’s an oven baked easy shrimp risotto based on a process she discovered in one of Australian cookbook writer Donna Hay’s books.
Ina’s recipe calls for Parmesan and peas. The Healthy Cooking shrimp risotto recipe includes shrimp, spinach and crumbled goat cheese.
I decided to use all of the above. While more isn’t always better, this time it definitely was!
Arborio rice is an Italian short grain rice with a high starch content used to make risotto. If you are in a pinch and can’t find Arborio, medium- or short-grain rice should work.
This easy shrimp risotto recipe was a winner with everyone who tasted it. It’s definitely a do-over!
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups simmering chicken stock, divided
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice and 4 cups of the simmering stock in a Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the shrimp and spinach.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from the oven and add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, goat cheese, wine, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Stir vigorously until the rice is thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and stir until they are heated through.
- Serve immediately
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this easy shrimp risotto you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for easy shrimp risotto calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.