Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Shrimp Risotto
Creamy arborio rice loaded with shrimp, spinach, goat cheese, Parmesan, and peas – this easy shrimp risotto is a winner.
Everyone loved it when I served it for for dinner last night.
I came up with this easy shrimp risotto by combining two recipes – the grand prize winning recipe for hearty shrimp risotto in the February/March (2012) issue of Healthy Cooking and Ina Garten’s recipe for easy Parmesan “risotto” in Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips.
The Skinny on Easy Shrimp Risotto
As Ina explains, her recipe isn’t a classic Italian risotto, it’s an oven-baked easy shrimp risotto based on a process she discovered in one of Australian cookbook writer Donna Hay’s books.
Ina’s recipe calls for Parmesan and peas. The Healthy Cooking shrimp risotto recipe includes shrimp, spinach and crumbled goat cheese.
I decided to use all of the above. While more isn’t always better, this time it definitely was!
Arborio rice is an Italian short grain rice with a high starch content used to make risotto. If you are in a pinch and can’t find Arborio, medium- or short-grain rice should work.
This easy shrimp risotto recipe was a winner with everyone who tasted it. It’s definitely a do-over!
According to my calculations, each 1-1/3 cups portion has about 403 calories, *10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints – following the new WW Freestyle Guidelines.
This video from Rachel Ray shows how she makes risotto with shrimp and peas on the stove top:
If you like this easy oven baked shrimp risotto, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Sheet Pan Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli, Easy Slow Cooker Jambalaya Recipes, Skinny Shrimp Creole Recipe, Southwest Shrimp & Black Bean Salad and Crock Pot Shrimp & White Beans
Easy Healthy & Delicious Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups simmering chicken stock, divided
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Place rice and 4 cups of the simmering stock in a Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the shrimp and spinach.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from the oven and add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, goat cheese, wine, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Stir vigorously until the rice is thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and stir until they are heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Source: Healthy Cooking and Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips by Ina Garten.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Risotto Recipes
Skinny Asparagus Risotto (SkinnyKitchen)
Slow Cooker Broccoli Risotto (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Healthy Risotto-Style Cauliflower Rice (HungryGirl)
Seared Scallops Over Wilted Spinach & Parmesan Risotto (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!