Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Creamy Slow Cooker Broccoli Risotto
I’ve always been intimidated by risotto. I’m not sure exactly why.
Maybe because it sounds exotic?
Or because it requires constant stirring when you cook it on the stovetop?
A couple years ago, I had great success making this easy shrimp risotto in the oven.
So, it seemed like time to give risotto in the crock pot a shot.
I looked at several recipes, comparing and contrasting them, before tossing together this slow cooker broccoli risotto.
It was amazing to me how much variation there was with the rice to liquid ratios and cooking times in the few recipes I read.
Which only confirms that cooking is far from an exact science. There are just too many variables.
Skinny on Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Broccoli Risotto
Arborio rice is an Italian short grain rice with a high starch content used to make risotto. If you’re in a pinch and can’t find Arborio, medium- or short-grain rice should work fine in your slow cooker broccoli risotto.
Easy, creamy and satisfying, we all liked this slow cooker broccoli risotto a lot.
Each serving has 364 calories, *9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *10 SmartPoints.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Risotto Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups of broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped small
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions until they have softened. (This is an important step, otherwise they may not be done by the time the risotto is finished. If it's easier you could place the onion and oil in a small microwave safe dish and microwave for about 2 minutes until softened.)
- Scrape the onion into the slow cooker.
- Toss the rice into the slow cooker and stir to coat it with the oil.
- Stir in the broth, wine, salt and broccoli. (If you prefer your broccoli a bit chewy, add it in during the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking time.)
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender but chewy. Check after about 1-3/4 hours to see how it's doing. Remove the crock from the slow cooker as soon as it's done to prevent your risotto from overcooking.
- Just before serving, stir in the cheese.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this slow cooker broccoli risotto recipe for you might also like:
Today’s food for thought…
“You’ve got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance.”
~ Lee Iacocca
And weight loss tip…
Replace your 12 inch plate with a 10 inch plate. The bigger the plate, the more you put on it, and the more you end up eating. A two inch difference in plate diameter — from 12″ to 10″ plates — would result in 22% fewer calories being served. Enough to make a difference without feeling deprived! If a typical dinner has 800 calories, a smaller plate would lead to a weight loss of around 18 pounds per year for an average size adult!
~ Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
This strategy has been magical for me. I now eat most every meal at home from a salad plate. And I’m satisfied 99% of the time.
Especially when I wait a few minutes before deciding whether I want more or not.
It takes the brain about 20 minutes to get the signal from the stomach that it’s fed and satisfied!!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!