Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Rice
(170 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
Here’s another revelation – perfectly cooked slow cooker rice.
It may be time to get rid of my rice cooker.
If I’d known how easy it is to make slow cooker rice, I never would have bought a rice cooker in the first place!
Oh well, live and learn.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Rice
The cookbook I found this recipe in, Slow and Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker , said that for “best, most consistent results, be sure to use converted rice (like Uncle Ben’s),” so that’s what I did.
It turns out that converted (parboiled) rice is more nutritious and has a lower glycemic index than many other kinds of rice, which is a good thing when you’re watching your weight. (Here’s more of an explanation from Kalyn’s Kitchen.)
A 1-cup serving of rice has 170 calories and *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, so often I’ll make-do with just 1/2 a cup, which can be
plenty enough—especially if you’re eating it with some protein and lots of vegetables.
Under Weight Watchers Freestyle Plan, this has *5 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Rice, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Rice Recipe
- 1 cup converted long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's (a must for best results)
- 2 cups boiling water, a must for best results
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 1-1/2 Quart.
- Place the rice in your greased slow cooker. Stir in the boiling water and salt.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or on LOW for 2 to 2-1/4 hours, until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender but not mushy.
- (Mine was done perfectly after 1 hour 15 minutes on high.)
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish and fluff with a fork.
Source: adapted from Slow and Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker by Natalie Haughton
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This brief video demonstrates how easy it is to make perfect rice every time in your crock pot:
If you like slow cooker rice you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Rice and Broccoli
- Crock Pot Wild Rice
- Fried Rice with Vegetables and Ham
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!