Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Rice
Here’s another revelation – perfectly cooked slow cooker rice.
It may be time to get rid of my rice cooker.
If I’d known how easy it is to make slow cooker rice, I never would have bought a rice cooker in the first place!
Oh well, live and learn.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Rice
The cookbook I found this recipe in, Slow & Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker, said that for “best, most consistent results, be sure to use converted rice (like Uncle Ben’s),” so that’s what I did.
It turns out that converted (parboiled) rice is more nutritious and has a lower glycemic index than many other kinds of rice, which is a good thing when you’re watching your weight. (Here’s more of an explanation from Kalyn’s Kitchen.)
A 1-cup serving of rice has 170 calories and 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus, so often I’ll make-do with just 1/2 a cup, which can be
plenty enough if you’re eating it with some protein and lots of vegetables.
Under Weight Watchers 2018 plan, this has *5 Freestyle SmartPoints.
This brief video demonstrates how easy it is to make perfect rice every time in your crock pot:
Slow Cooker Rice Recipe
- 1 cup converted long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's (a must for best results)
- 2 cups boiling water, a must for best results
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 1-1/2 Quart.
- Place the rice in your greased slow cooker. Stir in the boiling water and salt.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or on LOW for 2 to 2-1/4 hours, until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender but not mushy.
- (Mine was done perfectly after 1 hour 15 minutes on high.)
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish and fluff with a fork.
Source: adapted from Slow & Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker rice you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!