WW Recipe of the Day: Crock Pot Wild Rice
(180 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Here’s a delicious crock pot wild rice recipe that we all liked a lot. I don’t think I ever ate wild rice until I started visiting Wisconsin, where it is very popular.
And even now, every time I taste it, I wonder why I don’t eat it more.
I got the idea to try crock pot wild rice, while re-arranging the pantry and finding a large package of it I had forgotten about
Skinny on Crock Pot Wild Rice
In addition to being delicious, wild rice is good for you. A Weight Watchers Power Food, it has more protein than quinoa.
The recipe for this crock pot wild rice is from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
I adapted it only slightly, using a combination of different colored mini bell peppers instead of just one color.
Each 1-cup serving of this yummy crock pot wild rice has 180 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
I think this would work with the Simply Filling Technique too. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Crock Pot Wild Rice Recipe Notes
My wild rice was done in about 4 hours, but my slow cooker definitely cooks hot, so yours may take longer.
Rice will get mushy if you hold it on WARM for too long in the slow cooker. So, as soon as my rice was tender and the liquid absorbed, I transferred it out of the crock pot and into a serving dish until dinnertime. I then just re-warmed individual servings in the microwave.
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Wild Rice, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Wild Rice
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green, yellow or red bell pepper (I had a package of multi-colred mini peppers so I used a combination)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Ideal slow cooker size: 2-Quart.
- Layer the rice, mushrooms, onion, and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle the olive oil over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the broth over the rice and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours, OR on HIGH for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, OR until rice and vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
Source: Adapted slightly from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker by Phyllis Good.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this crock pot wild rice recipe, you might also like:
- Sausage, Spinach and Wild Rice Soup
- Easy Carrot, Spinach and Rice Stew
- Light and Healthy Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!