WW Recipe of the Day: Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
This slow cooker wild rice soup may not win any beauty contests, but it is an easy, healthy and deliciously satisfying one- pot meal, perfect in cold weather.
I adapted the recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker (affiliate link), a great go-to cookbook when you are looking for a slow cooker recipe that's not only easy, but light and healthy too.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
According to my calculations each serving has 312 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
This simple slow cooker soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. (I had just enough left from a recently purchased rotisserie chicken.)
Most wild rice soups are creamy, but this recipe skips the milk and/or cream and calls for an unexpected ingredient - chopped winter squash. I used a package of frozen peeled and chopped butternut squash, which mostly melted into the broth, thickening it a bit.
The only other changes I made were to:
- Decrease the butter to 1 tablespoon (saving 1 PointsPlus)
- Add a teaspoon of thyme
- Add a cup of frozen green peas for a boost of color and fiber (now that I know how good they are for us).
Next time I may play with a creamy variation by adding a 12-ounce can of fat-free evaporated milk mixed with ¼ cup flour during the last 20 minutes of cooking. The addition of sliced or chopped mushrooms would be nice as well.
We're big wild rice fans here so this soup was a winner when I served it for supper, along with a plate of Triscuits, cheese, and sliced apples. (I've committed to this month's Weight Watchers Healthy Routine of being sure to include fruits and vegetables with each meal and snack.)
The rice expands the longer it sits, so you may need to add more chicken broth or water to thin it out a bit, especially when reheating any that is leftover.
I used my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System (affiliate link) to make this soup, but any 4-Quart or larger slow cooker should work fine. Enjoy!
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you like this slow cooked wild rice soup with chicken you might also like: 5-Ingredient Chicken Wild Rice Casserole, Slow Cooker Ham Wild Rice Soup, Sausage & Spinach Wild Rice Soup and Crock Pot Wild Rice
If you've made this Wild Rice Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup dry wild rice
- 6 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup minced onions
- ½ cup minced celery
- ½ pound winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup toasted, slivered almonds
- Ideal slow cooker size 4-Quart.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet set low heat. (I used my Ninja 3-in-1 cooker.)
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often. Transfer to slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, onions, celery, squash and thyme.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- One hour before serving, stir in the chicken and peas.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with slivered almonds, just before serving.
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker (affiliate link) by Phyllis Good.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this slow cooker wild rice soup recipe, here are a few more Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker soups you might like:
- Weight Watchers Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean and Cabbage Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Ham & Split Pea Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Curried Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Weight Watchers)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
What a great soup. Here in wild rice country, we're always looking for new soups.
Beautiful color from those healthy peas, too. Happy 2013; welcome back to 38 Power Foods Blogging:)
Ansh | Spiceroots
Slow cooked soup. What could be better in this cold weather.