Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Sausage, Spinach, Wild Rice Soup
I love this easy healthy soup with sausage, spinach and wild rice.
I first made it back in October 2000, when it caught my eye in Cooking Light Magazine.
I clipped it and added it to my favorite recipes file. My mom – a fellow homemade soup lover – thought it was great and wanted the recipe too.
You know you’ve found a winning soup recipe when you’re still making it 18 years later!
I’m not even sure now what the original recipe title was. I just call it Italian Sausage, Spinach & Wild Rice Soup – since those are the main ingredients.
It’s filling and delicious – making it a great choice for a light and healthy weeknight supper (or Sunday night supper when you feel ready to compensate a bit for a weekend of indulgences.)
Skinny on Easy Healthy Sausage Spinach Wild Rice Soup
The recipe calls for wild rice – which is delicious, but expensive – and may be difficult to find depending on where you live.
I’m in Northern Wisconsin right now – where wild rice is plentiful.
But I’ve made it with a blend of long grain and wild rice which was good too.
So, use what you have – it will still be tasty and delicious.
Each generous 1-1/3 cup serving has just *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
Under Weight Watchers updated plan for 2018, this is now *3 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Italian Sausage, Spinach, Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups torn spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the wild rice. cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan and cook, stirring to break up the sausage into small pieces, heat until it begins to brown.
- Drain sausage, if it seems greasy - but so many of today's sausages are so lean - there may be nothing to drain.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups water, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked wild rice, spinach, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy, Healthy Soup Recipes:
Italian Slow Cooker Pork & White Bean Stew (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Weight Watchers 0 Points Vegetable Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Lentil, Sausage, Brown Rice & Spinach Soup (Kalyn’s Kitchen)
Easy Healthy Taco Soup Recipe (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Easy Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (Simple-Nourished-Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!