Weight Watchers Recipe: Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole with Granola Crumble
I whipped up this yummy skinny sweet potato casserole with granola crumble for Thanksgiving this year.
My sister texted the next day asking for the recipe, always a good sign. It’s definitely a recipe I plan to make again.
Skinny on Sweet Potato Casserole with Granola Crumble
Always on the lookout for ways to make recipes easier and more Weight Watchers friendly, I substituted Nature’s Path Pumpkin Seed & Flax Granola for the homemade crumble topping.
According to my Weight Watchers Bar Scan Reader, 1 cup of this granola has 12 SmartPoints. Substitute whatever granola you think would be good with a SmartPoints value that’s acceptable.
Instead of boiling the sweet potatoes I baked them so they would be drier and more flavorful.
I also substituted low fat evaporated milk for regular and used 1 egg instead of 2 egg whites, which is less wasteful and no difference in points since they are now both 0 Points on the new Weight Watchers Freestyle Plan.
According to my calculations each serving of this sweet creamy and delicious lightened up sweet potato casserole has just 150 calories and *5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints and 70 calories less than the Cooking Light version!
Oh, I also warmed this in my Casserole Crock to save precious oven space on Thanksgiving day. I slow cooked it on low for about 3 hours, leaving it uncovered for the last hour so the topping didn’t get soggy.
If you liked this recipe you might also like these Weight Watchers friendly recipes: Easy Slow Cooker Ham & Sweet Potatoes, Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Apple Casserole, Sweet Potato Tomato Soup, Skinny Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pumpkin Pie Spice and Red Chile and Sweet Potato Turkey Dinner in a Skillet
Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole with Granola Crumble
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large egg whites (I substituted 1 whole egg)
- 5 ounces low-fat evaporated milk
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup pumpkin seed granola (such as Nature's Path)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prick the sweet potato skins. Bake until tender when pieced with a sharp sharp knife. The time will depend on how large the potatoes are. Mine were small and took about 30 minutes. Large ones may take one hour or more.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- When the baked potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skins and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, rind, juice, turmeric, vanilla, salt, egg whites, and milk. Mash the mixture until smooth and then spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle granola over the potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Sweet Potato Recipes:
Sweet Potato Casserole (SkinnyTaste)
Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Perfectly Roasted Broccoli & Sweet Potatoes (Eat Yourself Skinny)
Hungry Girls Sans Sweet Potato Casserole (HungryGirl)
Light & Zesty Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks (Emily Bites)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!