Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Sweet Potato Tomato Soup
(157 calories | 5 5 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This simple sweet potato tomato soup (for the stovetop or slow cooker) is a light, healthy and delicious way to use up any leftover Thanksgiving sweet potatoes taking up space in your fridge. It's just the thing to get you back on track after a day or two of heavy eating.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We spent the day here at home, in the company of family and friends. What could be better?
Taking time Tuesday night to get several side dishes done ahead made for what felt like an easy, effortless, yet delicious dinner. Having my mother and sister bring several dishes also helped a lot.
Mom brought her spectacular mashed potatoes, along with shrimp cocktail (she insisted) and a beautiful relish tray. My sister brought yummy breads (rolls, cranberry walnut, and pumpkin) and desserts (pumpkin pie and a variety of little tasty tarts from a wonderful bakery/cafe in Tucson called, Beyond Bread.)
Did we have way more food than we needed? Absolutely. It's a long-standing family tradition!
The good news is that I can take the whole rest of the weekend off from major cooking, depending instead on the creative use of leftovers. We also intend to share some of our bounty with a few friends who adore Thanksgiving food.
Skinny on Sweet Potato Tomato Soup
What to do with your leftover sweet potatoes?
How about soup? I first made this soup when I had several leftover baked sweet potatoes I needed to use up. We thought it was delicious!
According to my calculations each serving has 157 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've got other leftovers - like turkey - to use up, I've included links to a few posts that may help at the end of this one. Enjoy!
If you've made this Sweet Potato Tomato Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Sweet Potato Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups leftover cooked sweet potatoes
- 2 cups canned tomatoes with their juice
- ¾ cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional water to achieve desired consistency
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, cook the onion in the oil, until it begins to soften and become translucent.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes and tomatoes and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. (Slow Cooker Directions: Alternatively toss the onions, broth, sweet potatoes and tomatoes into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.)
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. (This may require two batches.)
- Return the mixture to the saucepan or slow cooker. Stir in the orange juice and additional water, if the soup seems to thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat gently until hot.
- Serve immediately.
Source: adapted from Simply in Season Expanded Edition (World Community Cookbook)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Ideas for Thanksgiving Leftovers
- A collection of Weight Watchers friendly Leftover Turkey Soup Recipes perfect for using up the Thanksgiving bird.
- A collection of slim & healthy recipes for leftover turkey including sandwiches, salads, casseroles and more.
- Skinny Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk, another option for leftover sweet potatoes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!