Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Shrimp Creole
(240 calories | 2 1 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I’m a big fan of shrimp creole – a southern Louisiana shrimp dish made with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, celery and spices.
But since going back to Weight Watchers, I’m always looking for ways to lighten up recipes – even relatively healthy ones -by decreasing the fat and extra calories, while keeping them delicious.
So I adapted this easy healthy shrimp recipe to better suit our tastes, with ingredients I had on hand.
You can serve it over white rice, brown rice, favorite rice blend or even low-carb cauliflower rice.
I used a wild rice blend since that was what was in the pantry.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Skinny Shrimp Creole
I made this skinny shrimp creole for dinner recently and everyone who tasted it thought the flavor was great.
Remember to adjust the spices to suit your tastes. I went light on the spices and then let everyone add hot pepper sauce and cayenne at the table as they were inclined.
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in this Easy Healthy Shrimp Creole Recipe?
According to my calculations each 1 cup serving of this shrimp creole has has about 240 calories and
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Skinny Shrimp Creole Recipe
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon creole or cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer with the skillet partially covered, until the flavors are blended and sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring a few times, until they turn opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- To serve, spoon over rice or cauliflower rice
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here’s another easy recipe for Southern Shrimp Creole from Cynthia’s Home Cooking:
More Weight Watchers Shrimp Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!