I'm a big fan of shrimp creole - a southern Louisiana shrimp dish made with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, celery and spices.
But since going back to Weight Watchers, I'm always looking for ways to lighten up recipes—even relatively healthy ones—by decreasing the fat and extra calories, while keeping them delicious.
So I adapted this easy healthy shrimp recipe to better suit our tastes, with ingredients I had on hand.
You can serve it over white rice, brown rice, favorite rice blend or even low-carb cauliflower rice.
I used a wild rice blend since that was what was in the pantry.
I made this skinny shrimp creole for dinner recently and everyone who tasted it thought the flavor was great.
Remember to adjust the spices to suit your tastes. I went light on the spices and then let everyone add hot pepper sauce and cayenne at the table as they were inclined.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Shrimp Dish?
According to my calculations each 1 cup serving of this shrimp creole has has about 240 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Skinny Creole Shrimp, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Shrimp Creole Recipe
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon creole or cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer with the skillet partially covered, until the flavors are blended and sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring a few times, until they turn opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- To serve, spoon over rice or cauliflower rice
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's another easy recipe for Southern Shrimp Creole from Cynthia's Home Cooking:
More Weight Watchers Shrimp Recipes
- Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli
- WW Crock Pot White Beans with Shrimp
- Skinny Southern BBQ Shrimp
- Slow Cooker Corn & Shrimp Chowder
- Easy Slow Cooker Shrimp Curry
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!