WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Creole-Style Green Beans
(54 calories | *1 WW SmartPoint)
Green beans were on sale, buy-one-get-one-free, the day I shopped for the ingredients to make my Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole.
So, naturally, I grabbed two bags when I only needed one.
What is it about FREE stuff that makes it so alluring?
After my success making green bean casserole in the slow cooker, I decided to try again with creole style slow cooker green beans.
I adapted the recipe for these creole style slow cooker green beans from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Pellman Good.
As soon as I saw the recipe, I thought back to my original Weight Watchers days back in the early 1990s, when canned green beans topped with salsa (which I could eat for FREE) became a mainstay of my diet.
To make the recipe lighter, healthier and more WW friendly, I used 2 teaspoons of olive oil instead of 1/4 cup butter and decreased the brown sugar to 1 tablespoon.
The green beans turned out full of flavor and even managed to retain some crunch.
Both Rod and I gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up.
Close-but-not-quite FREE, each half cup serving has 54 calories, *1 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
I say eat these yummy creole style green beans to your heart’s content! We don’t end up in Weight Watchers because we ate too many green beans 🙂
If you skip the brown sugar, these creole style slow cooker green beans will work for WW Simply Filling. Enjoy!
If you’ve made these Crock Pot Creole-Style Green Beans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked them.
Creole Style Slow Cooker Green Beans Recipe
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup salsa (use your favorite mild, medium or hot)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, optional (I like Jane's Crazy Mixed UP salt)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 2-Quart.
- Coat your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the green beans, onion, salsa, brown sugar, olive oil and garlic salt in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours, or longer, until the green beans reach desired tenderness. (This is a good way to prepare green beans if you like them a little crunchy.)
Source: Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Pellman Good.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like spicy slow cooker green beans you might also like:
- Green Beans with Ground Pork (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Miso Sesame Green Beans (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Southern Style Green Beans (SkinnyMs)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!