Green beans with ground pork stir fried with garlic, ginger, chili, and soy sauce served over white rice.
I recently joined an interesting group of food bloggers, led my Mary of A Perfect Bite, that is cooking it’s way through the list and gaining incredible knowledge in the process.
Who is Harumi Kurihara?
A celebrity homemaker and television personality in Japan for more than 20 years. Think “Japan’s Martha Stewart” and you get the idea.
She is a successful cookbook author with over 20 bestselling books and magazines, and a television host with a line of cookware and her own chain of stores.
Having never had any professional culinary training, Kurihara specializes in realistic home cooking that combines the traditional and modern.
Truth be known, I had never heard of Harumi Kurihara before this assignment, so the first chance I got, I spent some time checking out her books. Looking through Everyday Harumi , the first recipe to catch my eye was this green beans with ground pork. It looked simple, without any unusual ingredients, Weight Watchers friendly, and something the family would enjoy.
I jotted down the recipe in my terrible chicken scratch, gathered what I thought were all the necessary ingredients and set out to make it for dinner last night with Rod and Mac’s help. It was quick, easy and tasty. Perfect for a weeknight supper.
I learned after dinner as I was doing some research on line, that we didn’t have the recipe quite right, thanks mostly to my terrible handwriting. We missed the leek and failed to lightly boil the green beans before stir-frying them. Even with these oversights, this stir-fried green beans with ground pork dish was still good.
Next time we make it, we’ll follow the directions more precisely and I think it will be even better.
That’s one of the amazing things about cooking. It doesn’t have to be right or perfect to be good.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 157 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this ground pork with green beans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Green Beans with Ground Pork Recipe
- 3 cups green beans
- 1 small leek, white and light green part, washed well and finely chopped
- 1/2 ounce (2-inch chunk) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 ounces ground pork
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dried red chiles, to taste
- Sesame oil, to taste
- First, prepare the green beans by lightly cooking them in boiling water. Drain and rinse them under cold water and pat them dry.
- Cut the green beans into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over high heat. Add the chopped leek, ginger and garlic, and cooking stirring often, for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the ground pork and stir-fry, breaking it into small chunks, until cooked through.
- Add the green beans, then add the soy sauce and red chiles to taste.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until the beans have been heated through.
- Add a little sesame oil to taste.
- Serve with hot white rice.
Source: Everyday Harumi by Harumi Kurihara
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
The following bloggers are also featuring the cooking of Harumi Kurihara today, with lots of wonderful recipes I need to bookmark:
- Mary @ One Perfect Bite
- Val @ More Than Burnt Toast
- Taryn @ Have Kitchen Will Feed
- Susan @ The Spice Garden
- Heather @ All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Miranda @ Mangoes and Chutney
- Amrita @ Beetles Kitchen Escapades
- Sue @ The View from Great Island
- Barbara @ Movable Feasts
- Linda @ A Sunflower Life
- Nancy @ Picadillo
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Veronica @ My Catholic Kitchen
- Annie @ Most Lovely Things
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Claudia @ Journey of an Italian Cook
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Kathy @ Bakeaway with Me
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Sarah @ Everything In the Kitchen Sink
If you like green beans with ground pork you might also like:
- Green Beans Tossed in Creamy Miso-Sesame Sauce
- Fried Rice with Vegetables and Ham
- Thai Peanut Noodles with Pork
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!