Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Slow Cooker Shrimp Curry
(129 calories | *3 WW SmartPoints)
Looking forward to getting a jump on all the wonderful things the coming year has in store, including lots of easy and healthy Weight Watchers friendly crock pot recipes.
Speaking of which…
I adapted this recipe for easy slow cooker shrimp curry from the one for “Hurry Curry” in the The I Hate to Cook Book , a fun read dating back to 1960 filled with all kinds of easy retro recipes.
Don’t confuse this easy slow cooker shrimp curry with anything closely resembling real Indian or Thai curry!
But that doesn’t make it any less tasty.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Shrimp Curry
Creamy and comforting, it’s just the kind of recipe I was looking for late Saturday afternoon as I pondered what I could make in the slow cooker that wouldn’t require much time or effort.
I also needed a way to use up what remained from Christmas Eve’s ginormous (think Costco-size) shrimp cocktail platter.
As luck would have it, I even had the required can of cream of shrimp soup in the cupboard.
I can almost guarantee that Rod will love any retro recipe I make, especially if it involves a creamy sauce.
This easy slow cooker shrimp curry served over rice was no exception. He went back for seconds. A sure sign of a winner 🙂
According to my calculations, each serving of this easy shrimp curry has about 129 calories and 3* Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
This is now reduced to *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints under Weight Watchers’ New Guidelines. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Shrimp Curry, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Easy Slow Cooker Shrimp Curry Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can (about 10-1/2 oz.) undiluted cream of Shrimp soup (or 1 can undiluted cream of celery or chicken soup)
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Chopped parsley, scallions, and/or peanuts for serving
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Ideal slow cooker size: 2-Quart.
- Place the onion, curry powder and butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes on high.
- Scrape the onion mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the soup, sour cream and shrimp.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, until heated through.
- Serve over rice, garnished with chopped scallions, parsley and peanuts, if desired.
Recipe source: Adapted from The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition by Peg Bracken.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this easy slow cooker shrimp curry, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!