If you are looking for a lighter risotto dish that is quick and easy and doesn't require lots of stirring or attention, you might want to try this Creamy Broccoli Confetti Risotto. It's a creamy Parmesan risotto side dish that begins with a package of creamy risotto bulked up with shredded broccoli slaw that has less than 150 calories per serving!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Creamy Broccoli Confetti Risotto?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 137 calories.
How to Make Broccoli Confetti Risotto, Step by Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: In a large saucepan, heat the oil over Medium heat and sauté the onion until tender, about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in the rice from the risotto package until coated in oil.
Pour in the water and risotto seasoning packet and stir to mix well.
Cover and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the liquid becomes a creamy sauce, about 20 minutes.
Step 4: Remove pan from heat and stir in the shredded broccoli slaw. Place cover on pan until the vegetables soften, about 2 minutes.
Step 5: Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and top with any garnishes (shaved Parmesan, fresh basil, chopped parsley, etc.) if desired.
Step 6: Store any leftover risotto in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The secrets to this quick and easy broccoli risotto are a package of creamy risotto mix and bag of broccoli slaw.
What is broccoli slaw?
Broccoli slaw is a shredded coleslaw mix that can be found with the salad mixes in most well stocked grocery stores. The version I used is from Green Giant and includes shredded broccoli stems, shredded carrots and shredded red cabbage. You'll find that shredded broccoli stems are crunchy and mildly sweet.
Ways to Use Leftovers
If you've made this Easy Broccoli Slaw Risotto, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Broccoli Confetti Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 box (5.5 ounces) creamy Parmesan risotto I used Lundberg Family Farms brand
- 2-½ cups water
- 2 cups broccoli slaw mix (shredded broccoli stalks, carrots and red cabbage)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil over Medium heat in a large saucepan and saute the onion until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice from risotto package until coated in oil. Pour in the water and seasoning packet and stir to mix well. Cover pan and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the liquid becomes a creamy sauce, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the broccoli slaw. Place cover on pan until the vegetables soften, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and top with any garnishes (shaved Parmesan, fresh basil, chopped parsley, etc.) if desired.
- Store any leftover risotto in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: Almost from Scratch: 600 Recipes for the New Convenience Cuisine by Andrew Schloss.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Almost from Scratch Creamy Broccoli Slaw Risotto, you might also like
- Creamy Crock Pot Broccoli Risotto
- Oven-Baked Shrimp Risotto
- Crock Pot Cherry Tomato Farro
- 4-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!