Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Balsamic Braised Beef
Here’s another quick and easy slow cooker recipe that was a big hit when I made it several weeks ago. Lean beef roast and onions combined with balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and a bit of instant tapioca for thickening.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Balsamic Braised Beef
This slow cooker balsamic braised beef can be served on its own, or over rice, mashed potatoes, or cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice if you’re watching your carbs and/or SmartPoints.
A green salad and/or vegetable makes the perfect side dish.
The flavor of the balsamic really comes through, so if you’re not a fan you may want to use less. If it turns out to tart for your tastes, you can soften it by adding a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup, just adjust your points accordingly.
According to my calculations, each serving has 159 calories and 4 SmartPoints. The key to keeping the points low is choosing a lean cut of beef such as eye of the round or rump.
Lean stew beef would also work, but would be done sooner.
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
chicken – replace beef with 4 skinless chicken drumsticks, legs, or thighs
pork – replace beef ribs with boneless pork
more veg – chopped carrots, celery, sliced mushrooms would be good
- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef (lean stew meat, eye of the round roast, rump roast, etc)
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons instant granulated tapioca (optional thickener)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. (Or my favorite, Montreal Steak Seasoning.)
- Place in the slow cooker with onions, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, bay leaves and tapioca, if using.
- Cover and cook on LOW until meltingly tender, 8 to 10 hours. (This will vary depending on the size of your slow cooker, size of beef, and how hot your slow cooker cooks.)
- To cook in the oven instead, add in a cup of water, cover and bake at 250F degrees for 6-8 hours or until beef is meltingly tender. Add in a little more water if the beef starts to dry out.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper and serve hot with your chosen accompaniments.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this easy slow cooker balsamic beef recipe, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Asian Braised Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef with Mushroom Sauce
- Slow Cooker Thai Beef
- Crock Pot Italian Beef
- Mom’s 3-Packet Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Weight Watchers Easy Salsa Verde Beef
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.