Salmon cakes (a.k.a. salmon patties) are a great example of how quick and easy it can be to get dinner on the table when you have a well-stocked pantry. Just a few common ingredients including canned salmon, a decades old American staple, come together in one of my favorite canned salmon recipes ever.
Skinny on Easy Salmon Cakes Recipe
Canned salmon comes in two varieties – sockeye or red salmon, and chum or pink salmon. I used pink salmon here, which is less expensive and milder tasting. My family gobbles up these quick and easy, deliciously simple salmon patties every time I make them.
I’m constantly amazed by how the simplest foods can be the most satisfying.
You can serve them as a main course with lemon wedges, tasty tartar sauce, peas, and mashed potatoes or as salmon burger sandwiches, on buns or toasted english muffins with lettuce, sliced tomato, and red onion. They’re also great on a bed of greens with your favorite dressing, or accompanied by a fresh fruit salsa.
- 2 (14 oz) cans salmon, drained with skin and bones removed
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed (or 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the olive oil until well combined. Form the mixture into 8 large or 16 small salmon patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the salmon patties for 3-5 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and heated through. Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Salmon Cakes Recipe Variations:
- Add 1/2 cup water chestnuts (finely chopped) to the mixture for a crunchy addition to your salmon cakes.
- Other possible additions and seasonings include dijon mustard, chopped parsley, chopped capers, chopped celery, lemon juice, lemon zest, cajun seasoning blend.
- Stir together a creamy sauce for your salmon cakes: 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or parsley.
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this post and recipe for easy healthy salmon patties, check out these links:
- A recipe for quick and easy mango salsa to accompany your salmon cakes
- Salmon Burgers with Peach Salsa (Weight Watchers)
- Easy Salmon Cakes Recipe (Eating Well)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.