Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Salmon Cakes
Salmon cakes (a.k.a. salmon patties) are a great example of how quick and easy it can be to get dinner on the table when you have a well-stocked pantry.
Just a few common ingredients including canned salmon—a decades old American staple—come together in one of my favorite canned salmon recipes ever.
Skinny on Easy Salmon Cakes Recipe
Canned salmon comes in two varieties – sockeye or red salmon, and chum or pink salmon.
I used pink salmon here, which is less expensive and milder tasting.
My family gobbles up these quick and easy, deliciously simple salmon patties every time I make them.
I’m constantly amazed by how the simplest foods can be the most satisfying.
You can serve them as a main course with lemon wedges, tasty tartar sauce, peas, and mashed potatoes or as salmon burger sandwiches, on buns or toasted english muffins with lettuce, sliced tomato, and red onion.
They’re also great on a bed of greens with your favorite dressing, or accompanied by a fresh fruit salsa.
According to my calculations, each salmon cake has about 253 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this brief video to learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle Program:
Favorite Skinny Salmon Cakes Recipe Variations:
- Add 1/2 cup water chestnuts (finely chopped) to the mixture for a crunchy addition to your salmon cakes.
- Other possible additions and seasonings include dijon mustard, chopped parsley, chopped capers, chopped celery, lemon juice, lemon zest, cajun seasoning blend.
- Stir together a creamy sauce for your salmon cakes: 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or parsley.
If you like these easy salmon fishcakes, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including WW Salmon Dill Loaf, Summer Salmon Panzanella Salad, Crock Pot Salmon with Asian Style Veggies, Pasta with Smoked Salmon & Peas and Scrambled Eggs with Salmon
See how you can make you own fresh salmon cakes with fresh salmon:
If you’ve made these salmon cakes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Just a few common ingredients including canned salmon make preparing these easy salmon cakes a breeze.
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) salmon, drained with skin and bones removed
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (gluten-free, if desired)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed, or 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the olive oil until well combined.
Form the mixture into 8 large or 16 small salmon patties.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the salmon patties for 3-5 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and heated through.
Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *6
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *3
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Salmon Cakes, Patties and Burgers:
Quick & Easy Salmon Patties (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Baked Salmon Cakes (SkinnyTaste)
Salmon Burgers with Peach Salsa (Weight Watchers)
Salmon Quinoa Burgers (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!