WW Recipe of the Day: Salmon-Dill Loaf
(235 calories | *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint)
I’m a huge salmon fan and try to eat it as often as I can, since it’s so good for you with all it’s healthy omega-3 fats.
But fresh wild salmon can be expensive. So, when I’m feeling frugal I turn to canned salmon, a less expensive alternative that’s also easier since it’s already cooked.
Growing up the only way I remember Mom serving canned salmon was straight from the can, drained and turned out into a little serving bowl.
She would remove the skin and bones, break it up a bit and make a simple mustard sauce of mustard, evaporated milk and a little sugar, that I found absolutely delicious, to serve on top.
I’ve never attempted to replicate her simple canned salmon with mustard sauce—but sitting here writing about it—I find myself wanting to do just that very, very soon.
This recipe for salmon-dill loaf using canned salmon is a little more involved. I ran across it while skimming through Weight Watchers’ Favorite Recipes (affiliate link) a Weight Watchers cookbook dating back to 1986 that I recently picked up at Goodwill.
It’s a compilation of favorite recipes from Weight Watchers members and staff, gathered during a contest held during the fall and winter of 1984-1985.
I thought this Weight Watchers Salmon-Dill Loaf had good flavor, but found the texture a little soft and mushy. This could be my fault, since I opted to bake it in a loaf pan , instead of on a sheet pan as directed.
I’m going to experiment with it a bit (adding a few dry bread crumbs and baking as directed) the next time I make it, to see if I can create a firmer texture.
It was a hit when served for dinner with mashed potatoes and peas. But then again, most anything and everything is a hit around here when served with mashed potatoes and peas 🙂
Do you have a favorite recipe for salmon loaf or other tasty way to preparing canned salmon to share?
According to my calculations, each serving has 235 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Salmon-Dill Loaf Recipe Notes
If the mixture appears too wet, try adding some dried breadcrumbs or oats, just be sure to adjust your WW Points accordingly.
If you’ve made this Salmon Loaf, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Weight Watchers Salmon-Dill Loaf Recipe
- 15 ounces canned salmon, drained with skin and bones removed
- 6 ounces canned water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion or scallions
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Dash hot sauce (optional)
- 4 lemon wedges (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients (except lemon wedges) until well blended.
- Turn the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet and shape into a loaf.
- Bake until the top of the loaf is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or let cool, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Slice loaf and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Source: Weight Watchers’ Favorite Recipes (affiliate link)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Salmon Recipes
- Easy Salmon Cakes
- Skinny Smoked Salmon Pinwheel Appetizers
- Salmon Burgers with Peach Salsa (Weight Watchers)
- Salmon Noodle Casserole (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!