WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon
(174 calories | *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Cold winter weather and hearty slow cooker soups are made for each other, don’t you think?
When the temperatures get frosty my mind turns to thick satisfying soups.
I realize living here in Phoenix I’ve become a cold weather wuss. I shiver just remembering the long, cold dark winters spent in the northeast and midwest, where my love of soup was born.
Classic Slow Cooker Ham Split Pea Soup is a longtime favorite.
But I have Mom to thank for this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Tomato, which caught her eye in the December 2013 issue of Woman’s Day.
This is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup perfect for a chilly day. And the split peas can take lots of hours of slow cooking to break down and become creamy, so it’s a great choice when you’re facing a long day.
We really enjoyed this slow cooker split pea soup with bacon and tomato, especially when scattered with croutons, crumbled bacon and chopped parsley, as the recipe suggests.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon
- 4 thick slices smoked bacon, or turkey bacon
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups green split peas
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Croutons, chopped crisp bacon and chopped parsley, if desired, for serving
- Microwave the bacon slices on high for 3 minutes.
- In a large slow cooker (5- or 6-Quart), combine the tomatoes with their juices, mustard, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add the partially cooked slices of bacon along with the split peas, garlic, carrots, celery, onion and thyme. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, until the peas have broken down and are tender.
- Remove and discard the bacon slices and thyme.
- Leave chunky or puree the soup to whatever consistency you like with a stick blender.
- Serve topped with croutons, chopped crisp bacon, and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Makes about 7 cups.
Source: Adapted from Woman’s Day
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker low fat split pea soup with bacon, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Ham Split Pea Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Cabbage with Chicken Apple Sausage (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Simply Filling Bean Cabbage Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon (The Lemon Bowl)
- Split Pea Soup with Garlic Toasts (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!