We all really enjoyed this low carb crock pot beef and beer carbonnade when I made it for dinner recently.
It sounds kinda fancy, but is really just a hearty Belgian-style beef stew made with onions and Belgian ale.
Since we're not Belgian ale drinkers and I didn't feel like making a special trip to the store in search of it, I used a bottle of amber ale that was hiding in the back of the fridge.
This is definitely hearty wintertime fare.
Served with noodles and slow cooker apple glazed carrots, this crock pot beef and beer carbonnade made for a satisfying meal.
And the only thing left to do at dinnertime was boil the noodles! Oh, how I love my crock pot!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Crock Pot Beef?
According to my calculations, each serving has 337 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Slow Cooked Belgian-Style Beef Stew, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Beef and Beer Carbonnade
- 2-½ pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 12 ounces beer (preferably Belgian; I used an amber ale)
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca, or flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the beef, onion, bacon, beer, tapioca, bay leaves, brown sugar, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or until the meat is tender and thoroughly cooked.
Source: adapted from Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this low carb crock pot beef and beer carbonnade, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Beef with Mushroom Sauce
- Slow Cooker Beef with Mushrooms
- Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup
Today's food for thought…
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
~ Albert Einstein
And weight loss tip…
Mini-size your boxes and bowls. The bigger the package you pour/serve from the more you eat. (20 to 30% more for most foods.) Repackage your jumbo boxes into smaller Ziploc bags or Tupperware containers and serve it up in smaller dishes. The smaller the box, the less you make, and the less you eat. The smaller the serving dish, the less you take, and the less you eat.
~ Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
Do you have a favorite motivational quote and/or weight loss tip? I'd love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!