Here’s a hearty, full-flavored soup with beef, onions, and mushrooms in a rich beef broth that is as easy as it is tasty.
Delicious topped with cheesy toasted French bread, this slow cooker beefy French onion soup was a big hit when I served it for dinner last night.
I love using the crock pot to make hearty main dish soups like this slow cooker beefy french onion soup.
Just a few minutes of work early in the day allows us to enjoy a quick and easy dinner that’s ready and waiting when we are.
Softening the onions and browning the meat and mushrooms in a skillet before tossing it into the slow adds a lot of extra color and flavor.
But, if it seems like too much effort, skip it and this slow cooker beefy french onion soup will still be great.
Enjoying French onion soup at home became so much easier when I learned the secret to no more burnt hands trying to maneuver bowls of hot soup in and out of the broiler. Make the cheesy toasty bread separately and then floating it on top of the soup instead of attempting to broil it all together in the oven!
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons, dry sherry (optional)
- 5 slices French bread
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add the meat, mushrooms, garlic, and brown sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and mushrooms tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and meat mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the broth, consomme, and water and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Add the soy sauce and sherry and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, toast the bread. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and broil until melted.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls; then float a slice of the broiled cheesy bread on top of each serving of soup.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this slow cooker beefy french onion soup you might also like:
Lightened Up Easy Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms – easy, hearty and delicious with 5 WW PointsPlus Value
Hearty Beef & Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup Recipe – Easy and delicious with just 5 WW PointsPlus Value
Healthy Vegetable, Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup Recipe – for the slow cooker with 7 WW PointsPlus Value
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.