WW Friendly Skinny Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup Recipe
Here's a hearty, full-flavored soup with beef, onions, and mushrooms in a rich beef broth that is as easy as it is tasty.
Delicious when topped with cheesy toasted French bread, this Easy Beefy French Onion Soup was a big hit when I served it for dinner last night.
I love using my crock-pot to make hearty main dish soups like this slow cooker beefy french onion soup.
Just a few minutes of work early in the day allows us to enjoy a quick and easy dinner that's ready-and-waiting when we are.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup
Softening the onions and browning the meat and mushrooms in a skillet before tossing it into your crock pot adds a lot of extra color and flavor.
But, if it seems like too much effort, skip it and this skinny beefy french onion soup will still taste great.
Enjoying French onion soup at home became so much easier when I learned the secret to no more burnt hands trying to maneuver bowls of hot soup in and out of the broiler.
Make the cheesy toasty bread separately by toasting the cheese-topped bread under the broiler and then float it on top of the soup, instead of attempting to broil it all together in the oven!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving of this French Onion Soup has about 330 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Slow Cooked French Onion Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1-½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 5 slices French bread
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the meat, mushrooms, garlic, and brown sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and mushrooms tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and meat mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the broth, consomme, and water and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
- Add the soy sauce and sherry and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, toast the bread. Sprinkle bread slices with the grated cheese and broil until melted.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls; then float a slice of the broiled cheesy bread on top of each serving of soup.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this beefy french onion soup, you might also like:
- Lightened Up Easy Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms - easy, hearty and delicious with 5 WW PointsPlus Value
- Hearty Beef & Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup Recipe - Easy and delicious with just 5 WW PointsPlus Value
- Healthy Vegetable, Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup Recipe - for the slow cooker with 7 WW PointsPlus Value
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!