WW Recipe of the Day: Skinny Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
My grandma's Hungarian cabbage rolls were legendary in Oakland, California. Although she was a professional seamstress, her reputation as a cook was highly regarded and her customers often left with a tray of cabbage rolls along with their newly tailored suit. That was over 50 years ago.
To bring back Mazy's flavors and still have time for a busy life, I tried using all the ingredients and making a super quick soup version of her cabbage rolls in the Instant Pot . If you've not yet invested in this amazing multi-cooker, I've also included stovetop instructions.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Sweet & Sour Cabbage Roll Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving has 200 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How To Make Cabbage Roll Soup?
Making this soup couldn't be easier. Just use the saute function to cook the scallions and ground turkey until it begins to brown.
Then add the remaining ingredients and cook on high pressure for five minutes. When time is up allow to sit for five minutes and then slide the valve to venting.
Remove the lid. Stir the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. That's all there is to it.
What is Coleslaw Mix Made Of?
Coleslaw mix is a prepackaged mix of shredded cabbage (and usually carrot) which is sold in the produce section of most markets in with the other bags of lettuces and greens.
If a store-bought mix isn't your bag, just thinly slice your choice of green or red cabbage, and/or carrots to make your own.
Using bagged coleslaw mix, keeps the preparation of this soup really quick. You can always shred your own if you prefer, either with a knife or the food processor .
I used lean ground turkey to make this soup. You could easily use lean ground beef if you prefer.
I also replaced the sugar called for with a packet of Truvia .
Instead of regular canned tomato sauce, I opted for a tomato basil marinara sauce which I think imparts more flavor. According to the WW app the tomato basil marinara sauce from Classico, Hunts, Great Value Organic, and Trader Joe's Organic all have just 2 SmartPoints per half cup serving.
I like the added color of the green onions (scallions) and slightly more subtle taste. But feel free to replace them with 1 cup of chopped yellow or white onion if you prefer.
Trader Joe's makes a tasty can of no salt plum tomatoes. The juice is really thick which adds to the heftiness of the soup.
Traditionally salt and pepper are the two main spices with a huge emphasis on strong black pepper. If 1 teaspoon sounds crazy, then add only ¼ to ½ teaspoon and adjust at the end if needed.
Additional spices and seasonings to consider include: Worcestershire sauce, paprika, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
I didn't use any broth to make my soup. If you prefer a thinner soup feel free to add one to two cups of low sodium beef or chicken broth.
There's a small amount of rice (¼ cup) in this Sweet and Sour Cabbage Roll Soup. Either ½ cup of cooked rice (white or brown) or ¼ cup of uncooked white rice or ¼ cup of uncooked instant brown rice will all work with good results. DON'T use uncooked regular brown rice in this recipe because it takes too long to cook.
To keep this soup low carb, you could also skip the rice and/or stir in some cauliflower rice at the end.
To Make this Soup on the Stovetop:
- In a large soup pot set over medium heat, add the oil and then the scallions. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the scallion begins to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, sauce, vinegar, truvia , pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Partially cover the pot and allow the soup to simmer gently until the rice and cabbage are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
Baguette slices and a crispy salad are all you need to round out this homey meal in a bowl I'd serve a glass of hearty red wine alongside, if you have the Points to spare.
With such a filling yet light main course, splurge and have some skinny sorbet or ice cream for dessert.
Ways to Use Leftover Soup
Cover and store any leftover soup for up to 5 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer. This soup will thicken as it sits. To thin it out when you reheat it, stir in a little water or broth.
If you've made this Pressure Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Instant Pot Skinny Sweet & Sour Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 scallions, chopped
- ½ pound lean ground turkey
- 3 cups bagged shredded coleslaw mix (or finely shredded cabbage)
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) low-sodium plum tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup marinara sauce (Classico tomato basil has just 2 WW SmartPoints)
- ¼ cup white rice, uncooked (or instant brown rice)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 packet Truvia (about 1 teaspoon) (or sweetener of choice)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less to suit your tastes)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil and scallions to the Instant Pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat, breaking it up with a fork as it begins to brown.
- After 2 minutes, add the cole slaw mis, tomatoes, marinara sauce, rice, vinegar, pepper and salt.
- Switch to Pressure Cooker setting (high), and set for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, let rest for 5 minutes before sliding the valve to "venting" and quick-releasing the rest of the steam.
- Carefully open the lid and stir the soup. Taste season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To make on the stovetop: In a large soup pot set over medium heat, add the oil and then the scallions. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the scallion begins to soften, stirring occasionally.Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon (affiliate link) and stirring, until it is no longer pink. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, sauce, vinegar, truvia (affiliate link), pepper and salt. Stir to combine.Partially cover the pot and allow the soup to simmer gently until the rice and cabbage are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
Source: Adapted from the Eat What You Love Quick & Easy Cookbook by Marlene Koch
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for WW Sweet & Sour Cabbage Roll Soup you might also like:
- Easy Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Slow Cooker Bean & Cabbage Soup
- Cabbage Soup Recipes for Weight Watchers
- My Instant Pot Getting Started Success Guide
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!