Effective 11/2021 WW has a new Program: WW PersonalPoints
Built around the latest nutrition and behavior change science, but most importantly, it's built around you. Your life. Your favorite foods. To make sure you live the life you love AND lose the weight you want.
Effective 11/2019 WW has a new Program: myWW
The program includes Blue, Green, and Purple plans. According to WW, "You'll have the opportunity to try an entirely new plan—Green or Purple—or stay on Freestyle—now called Blue."
Have you caught any of the scuttlebutt regarding changes to the WW Freestyle Program for 2018?
The internet and social media are buzzing with rumors and speculation about the changes that Weight Watchers will unveil here in the US on December 3, 2017.
Image source: Weight Watchers
One big clue that this year’s change is significant is that all meeting room cookbooks have been deeply discounted. Always a sign of changes to come.
The latest Weight Watchers Program has been released in UK where it's called Weight Watchers Flex. According to this article in Good Housekeeping UK...
'WW Flex expands our range of zero Points foods to guide members toward a healthier pattern of eating,' says Zoe Griffiths, Head of Programme and Public Health at Weight Watchers.
'It offers the freedom and flexibility they need to make significant lifestyle changes that have positive benefits beyond just weight loss. The results are the best we've ever seen for a Weight Watchers programme in a clinical trial.'
This video provides a bit of a sneak peek into what to expect...
Changes mentioned in this video include...
- Over 200 zero points foods including lean proteins such eggs, chicken, turkey, fish and seafood, lean plant proteins like lentils, tofu, and beans (Click here to take a look at the UK Zero Points food list)
- The ability to rollover up to 4 daily SmartPoints
Rumor has it that "Flex" will be called "Freestyle" here in the US. According to Danica from Danica's Daily , WW filed for that Trademark earlier this year and I've just met with a very reliable source who confirmed it.
New 2018 Program: Weight Watchers Freestyle Details
According to many online sites the new Weight Watchers program for 2018 will be called Freestyle and will be rolled out beginning December 3, 2017.
An updated version of SmartPoints that will expand zero points foods beyond fruits and vegetables (including corn and peas) to include lean sources of protein such as beans, chicken breast, eggs, fish, lentils, shellfish, turkey breast, tofu and nonfat plain unsweetened yogurt.
Interestingly, the current issue of Weight Watchers magazine includes a detailed article about the power of protein for weight loss.
Continuing with the focus of WW SmartPoints & Beyond the Scale launched in 2015, it appears that the plan changes will go even further to encourage people to make healthier choices and nourish their whole selves.
How SmartPoints Work
- For those of you not already familiar with SmartPoints, the SmartPoints system uses the latest nutritional science to make healthy eating as simple as possible. It nudges you toward making healthy choices so eat better and lose weight.
- Every food and drink has a SmartPoints value: a number that is based on calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat. The baseline SmartPoints value is based on the food's calories. Protein lowers the SmartPoints value. Saturated fat and sugar increase the SmartPoints value.
- Every day you get a SmartPoints Budget to spend on any foods you want.
- Your Daily SmartPoints Budget is calculated based on your age, height, weight and gender with a minimum daily value of 23.
- You only need to track the foods that have a SmartPoints value.
- You don't need to weigh, measure or track 0 SmartPoints foods.
- Enjoy a greatly expanded list of 0 SmartPoints go-to foods.
- Every week you also get a Weekly SmartPoints Budget that you can think of as "overdraft" protection. They are there to use when you go over your Daily SmartPoints budget.
- You can roll over up to four (4) unused Daily SmartPoints into your Weekly SmartPoints. Use them or not as you see fit.
Weight Watchers Rollover Points
Most sources, including the WW UK website say that on the new Weight Watchers plan for 2018, you will be able to roll over up to 4 SmartPoints daily if you do not use them.
I love this idea since it means you could adjust your points to match the natural rhythms and fluctuations of your appetite.
Weight Watchers New Products to Include Meal Delivery and Wine
There's talk of a SmartPoints friendly home meal delivery system similar to those offered by companies like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh, several variations of which are being tested in various regions of the country.
And just today Weight Watchers unveiled its new line of diet wine called Cense, starting with a sauvignon blanc.
Lower in alcohol and calories, the new white wine is "is rich in flavor" but contains only 85 calories per a 5 fluid ounce serving (the equivalent of 3 Weight Watchers SmartPoints), while many other white wines contain about 120 calories (4 SmartPoints) per the same serving size.
"We're not about diet. We're about living life to its fullest," says WW. "Wine is the No. 2 tracked beverage in our app."
Weight Watchers 2018: What These Changes Mean & Thoughts
At this point, I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but it seems to me that this plan is more like Simply Filling (which I love) than any other program in recent history.
While I love the idea of more zero points foods to encourage healthy eating, I am not looking forward to having to update all my favorite recipes to reflect all the points value changes.
However, I am excited that many of my favorite recipes include lots of 0 SmartPoints foods so they will go down in value. In fact I just calculated the this favorite Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup, which is now *0 SmartPoints (instead of *3 SmartPoints)!
Weight Watchers has been around for more than 50 years. There have been many changes to the program through the decades to reflect the latest nutrition and weight loss science.
The latest program is vastly different from the original plan from 1963 or the Quick Start Plan from the late 1980s / early 1990s that I followed to become a WW lifetime member.
All of them have worked and I'm sure this one will too, though adjusting to the changes can be a struggle, especially for those who don't like change.
What have you heard about the new plan? Please leave a comment if you have any details or insights to share.
More news about the new Weight Watchers Plan for 2018 from around the web...
- The New Weight Watchers Program (Danica's Daily)
- New Weight Watchers Program (Snack Girl)
- New Weight Watchers Freestyle Program? (Slender Kitchen)
- Weight Watchers Announces Huge Changes to its Weight Loss Programme (Good Housekeeping UK)
- Weight Watchers New Program 2018 (Less of a Better Me)
- Emily Bites Who Had Early Access to Freestyle Weighs in with Her Thoughts (Emily Bites)
- Weight Watchers Ambassador, shares the scoop on freestyle and her experience with it (Daily Dose of Pepper)
- Weight Watchers Liberté - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers France)
- Weight Watchers Your Way - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers Germany)
- Weight Watchers Feel Good - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers Austria)
- Weight Watchers Liberté - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers Switzerland - French)
- Weight Watchers Your Way - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers Switzerland - German)
- Weight Watchers Your Way+ - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers Australia)
- Weight Watchers Your Way+ - New Program 2018 (Weight Watchers New Zealand)
Weight Watchers Girl Video...
Wellness that Works WW Program Changes 2019
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Hi Martha, your blog is amazing! Any idea of how I can get the updated diet? Im in South Afrcia and WW has pulled out of the country. Regards Taryn
Thanks, Taryn. I would look for the WW Freestyle Welcome Kit on Amazon or Ebay. This should have the information you need to follow the program. ~M
Is there a WW program for Italy? Or a site to go to?
Nice Content! Thanks for sharing.
See my site for more Great Deals! Here in Kitchen Deals, you can explore different kitchen appliances from different stores and know its specifications. We feature a wide selection of brands per category to ensure you get what you want. We make sure to feature quality products from different brands and kitchen appliances in a categorized and orderly manner.