I’m not sure what made me think of muffins for this week’s 38 Power Foods Group topic – kiwifruit – but I’m so glad I did. And I knew just where to go to find a kiwifruit muffin recipe: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites, by one of my favorite cookbook writers, Camilla Saulsbury.
Her kiwifruit muffins sounded simple and delicious, but as usual, I took a few liberties with the recipe: dividing it in half to make 6 muffins instead of 12, lightening it up ever so slightly (since it was pretty healthy already) and changing the combination in which a couple of the ingredients were mixed together.
All I can say is yummy, yummy! Rod and Mom liked them too. These skinny kiwifruit muffins turned out moist, sweet and delicious with only 4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. We enjoyed them for breakfast this week warm-from-the-oven along with a bowl of strawberries and kiwifruit…
This week a group of bloggers is featuring kiwifruit as a power food. (Each week a small group of bloggers is working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.)
Truthfully, I’ve never given much thought to the fuzzy little fruit, beyond adding 1 or 2 to a fresh fruit salad. I love it’s translucent green color and strawberry-banana-ish flavor. But it turns out the kiwifruit, which originated in China and were brought to New Zealand by missionaries, is a 56 calorie (0 PointsPlus) nutritional powerhouse, loaded with antioxidants (especially vitamin C), potassium and fiber.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped peeled kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 F degrees.
- Coat 6 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice until well blended.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Gently stir in the kiwifruit and raisins.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 4 minutes and then carefully remove the muffins from the pan and place them directly on the wire rack to finish cooling.
*PointsPlus® for skinny kiwifruit muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with kiwifruit. (If you are interested in joining us, contact Mireya at My Healthy Eating Habits. We’d love to have you join us.)
- Alyce – More Time at the Table
- Ansh – Spice Roots
- Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah – Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Chaya – My Sweet & Savory
- Minnie – The Lady 8 Home
Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favoritesThe World’s Healthiest Foods
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.