Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Kiwifruit Muffins
I'm not sure what made me think of muffins for this week's 38 Power Foods Group topic—kiwifruit—but I'm so glad I did.
And I knew just where to go to find a kiwifruit muffin recipe: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites , by one of my favorite cookbook writers, Camilla Saulsbury.
Her kiwifruit muffins sounded simple and delicious, but as usual, I took a few liberties with the recipe by:
- dividing it in half to make 6 muffins instead of 12
- lightening it up, ever so slightly, (since it was pretty healthy already)
- and changing the combination in which a couple of the ingredients were mixed together
All I can say is yummy, yummy! Rod and Mom liked them too.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Muffins?
These skinny kiwi muffins turned out moist, sweet and delicious with only 156 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
We enjoyed them for breakfast this week warm-from-the-oven along with a bowl of strawberries and kiwifruit.
This week a group of bloggers is featuring kiwifruit as a power food.
Each week a small group of bloggers is working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients , by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
Truthfully, I've never given much thought to the fuzzy little fruit, beyond adding 1 or 2 to a fresh fruit salad.
I love it's translucent green color and strawberry-banana-ish flavor.
But it turns out the kiwifruit, which originated in China and were brought to New Zealand by missionaries, is a 56 calorie (0 Points) nutritional powerhouse, loaded with antioxidants (especially vitamin C), potassium and fiber!
If you've made this Low-Fat Kiwi Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Kiwifruit Muffins Recipe
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped peeled kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Coat 6 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice until well blended.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Gently stir in the kiwifruit and raisins.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 4 minutes and then carefully remove the muffins from the pan and place them directly on the wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipe Source: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites by Camilla Saulsbury
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch this brief video to learn a little more about kiwifruit:
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with kiwifruit:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!