Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Kiwifruit Muffins
(156 calories | *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
I’m not sure what made me think of muffins for this week’s 38 Power Foods Group topic – kiwifruit – but I’m so glad I did.
And I knew just where to go to find a kiwifruit muffin recipe: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites , by one of my favorite cookbook writers, Camilla Saulsbury.
The Skinny on Kiwifruit Muffins
Her kiwifruit muffins sounded simple and delicious, but as usual, I took a few liberties with the recipe by:
- dividing it in half to make 6 muffins instead of 12
- lightening it up, ever so slightly, (since it was pretty healthy already)
- and changing the combination in which a couple of the ingredients were mixed together
All I can say is yummy, yummy! Rod and Mom liked them too.
These skinny kiwi muffins turned out moist, sweet and delicious with only *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
We enjoyed them for breakfast this week warm-from-the-oven along with a bowl of strawberries and kiwifruit…
This week a group of bloggers is featuring kiwifruit as a power food.
Each week a small group of bloggers is working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients , by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
Truthfully, I’ve never given much thought to the fuzzy little fruit, beyond adding 1 or 2 to a fresh fruit salad.
I love it’s translucent green color and strawberry-banana-ish flavor.
But it turns out the kiwifruit, which originated in China and were brought to New Zealand by missionaries, is a 56 calorie (0 Points) nutritional powerhouse, loaded with antioxidants (especially vitamin C), potassium and fiber!
If you’ve made these healthy kiwifruit muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked them.
Skinny Kiwifruit Muffins Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Coat 6 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice until well blended.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Gently stir in the kiwifruit and raisins.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 4 minutes and then carefully remove the muffins from the pan and place them directly on the wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipe Source: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites by Camilla Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch this brief video to learn a little more about kiwifruit:
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with kiwifruit:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!