WW Recipe of the Day: Low-Fat Apple Bran Muffins
(163 calories | *6 WW SmartPoints)
I’ve got a recipe for low fat apple bran muffins today. I started craving apple bran muffins after getting a glimpse of these quick and easy ones on Southern Plate.
After visiting 3 grocery stores in search of bran muffin mix, I decided it would be quicker and easier to make them from scratch.
Confession: I’m a bran muffin lover from WAY BACK! I began making them in college using the recipe from the back of the Kellogg’s All Bran cereal box. My roommate and I adored them!
After trying lots of different bran muffin recipes through the years, including Ina Garten’s Low Fat Chunk Banana Bran Muffins, these healthy whole wheat bran muffins from King Arthur Flour, and these yummy double chocolate bran muffins, it is still a sentimental favorite.
So, I decided to use it as my starting off point in creating a batch of Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins.
How Many Calories/Weight Watchers Points in these Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins?
According to my calculations each muffin has just 163 calories and *6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins Recipe Notes
I made several changes to the original recipe:
- I substituted white whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour and brown sugar for white sugar.
- I added 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for extra moisture and a finely chopped apple to turn them into Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins.
- A little cinnamon and nutmeg also seemed like a good idea.
Moist, delicious and nutritious, they worked to satisfy my craving. I’ll share some and pop a few in the freezer for the next time a craving strikes.
According to my calculations each serving has 163 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoy these healthy apple muffins with bran, be sure to check out my other WW friendly recipes including Apple Pecan Muffins, Easy Apple Pie Parfait, Skinny Apple Brownies, Crock Pot Apple Compote and Fresh Apple Cake
If you’ve made these Bran Apple Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked them.
Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all bran cereal
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk (I used soy milk)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Spray the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl stir together the bran cereal and milk and set it aside to soften as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Peel and chop the apple and set it aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Once the cereal has softened and absorbed the milk, add the brown sugar, oil, applesauce and egg and stir until creamy and well blended. Add the flour mixture and stir until moistened. (The mixture will be very thick.) Stir in the chopped apple.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. (I liked to use an ice cream scoop for this.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to loosen the muffins from the cups and then set them on a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy warm.
Source: adapted from Kelloggs
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
For this recipe I recommend:
More WW Friendly Baked Goods with Apple
- Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake Cups (EmilyBites)
- Apple Spice Baked Oatmeal Cups (OrganizeYourselfSkinny)
- Apple Fritter Loaf (DrizzleMeSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!