Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Baked Bean Soup
This recipe for easy baked bean soup may not be much to look at, but it is really simple to make and delicious to eat.
I’ve made it several times this year. And every time I do, I ask myself why I don’t make it even more often.
The Skinny on Easy Baked Bean Soup
This baked bean soup is really that easy and that good.
And it’s such a great way to use up leftover baked beans – if you make homemade baked beans.
I don’t, at least not very often. But I always seem to have a can or two of them in the cupboard.
I seem to be making and collecting soup recipes more and more these days. Probably because they’re easy and nutritious.
I’ve come across lots of bean soup recipes – but never one for easy baked bean soup until this one in my old Fannie Farmer Cookbook – a wedding gift from my grandmother – caught my eye.
With just 5 ingredients – not counting salt and pepper – it’s super simple to make.
You just stir everything together in a pot and let it simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
What could be simpler?
This easy baked bean soup is great for a simple healthy lunch or supper.
Serve it with whole wheat toast or a batch of warm from the oven healthy muffins – if you’re feeling especially ambitious.
I hope you give this easy soup a try. While it’s not much to look at, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 190 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle Plan in this short video:
My Cooking Tips & Variations for this Easy Baked Bean Soup Recipe:
- I usually puree this soup as directed. It’s also good when you puree just some of the soup and leave the rest chunky – which is what I did the last time I made it.
- Add more water if you like thinner soups.
- I think you could also make this in your slow cooker. Just let it cook on low for 6 to 8 hours – which is the way I plan to make it next time.
- Adjust the chili powder to suit your tastes. I sometimes add a little more, but if you’re serving it to kids you might want to skip it altogether.
- Sometimes I add chopped or sliced hot dogs to it to make it a little heartier.
Easy Baked Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 cups baked beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the baked beans, onion, celery, tomatoes and chili powder in a large pot with 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let it bubble gently, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Mash and beat until smooth, or puree in a blender.
- Reheat and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this easy baked bean soup you might also like:
Baked Bean Soup Recipe – found at A Year of Slow Cooking
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!