Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Baked Beans
(175 calories | *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
I called Mom for advice before attempting these slow cooker baked beans.
Baked beans and homemade bread were a Saturday supper tradition when she was growing up in Maine.
Designed for low and slow cooking, baked beans and the slow cooker seem like a match made in heaven.
But she confirmed, what I already knew: Neither my grandmother nor she had ever used a slow cooker to make baked beans. They always cooked them in a traditional ceramic bean pot in the oven.
Then I asked about ingredients. Nana used just salt pork, dry mustard and molasses. Mom liked a little chopped onion added. And definitely no brown sugar or ketchup.
After hanging up with her, I opened up How to Cook Everything: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food for a little more guidance on quick soaking and ingredient amounts.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Baked Beans
I got a late start with these slow cooker baked beans. They had only been cooking for about six hours when I was ready for bed and they were still hours from done. I spent several minutes contemplating the alternatives, then flipped the crockpot to warm and let them cook all night.
I woke up to discover perfectly tender slow cooker baked beans in an incredibly rich dark brown sauce, just like Mom used to make in her bean pot!
We enjoyed these slow cooker baked beans for supper with cole slaw, chicken apple sausages and still warm slow cooker whole wheat bread. And then I had them again on toast for breakfast.
Rod and I thought they were perfect, but they were a little heavy on the molasses for Mom.
According to my calculations each serving has 175 calories and *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Now that beans are Zero SmartPoints on WW Freestyle, these slow cooker baked beans have dropped to just *2 SmartPoints per serving. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like slow cooker baked beans you might also like these Weight Watchers friendly recipes featuring beans: Italian Slow Cooker Pork and White Bean Stew, Easy Baked Bean Soup, Favorite Black Bean Soup Recipes, Skinny Slow Cooker Creole White Beans and Chicken, Slow Cooker Moroccan Baked Beans, Slow Cooker White Beans, Slow Cooker Caribbean Black Beans, Crock Pot White Beans and Shrimp
If you’ve made these low fat Crock Pot Baked Beans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 1 pound dried navy pea or other white beans, washed and picked over
- 4 ounces salt pork, cut into 3 or 3 slices
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water by an inch or two and let soak overnight. Alternatively as a quick soak method, place the beans in a large saucepan. Cover with water by 2 to 3 inches. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat, cover and let stand for 1 - 2 hours.
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Place the pieces of salt pork in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Drain the beans and add to the crock pot.
- Mix together the molasses and mustard and stir into the beans.
- Cover with boiling until it is above the bean level by 1 inch.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours, until the beans are very tender.
- After about 6 hours, taste and adjust the seasonings, adding salt, pepper, molasses and/or mustard to taste.
- Discard the salt pork.
Source: How to Cook Everything: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Recipes with Beans for Weight Watchers
- Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken and Pinto Bean Tostadas
- Cauliflower Rice and Beans
- Weight Watchers Slow Cooker 2-Bean Burritos
- Mini Bean & Cheese Bites
- Slow Cooker Bean Barley Soup
- CrockPot Refried Beans
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!