Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Bean Barley Soup
(154 calories | 4 4 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Here’s an easy slow cooker bean barley soup, healthy and satisfying, that comes together in minutes and can simmer in the crock pot for hours. It’s perfect for this hectic time of year.
To save time in the morning, you could toss everything into the crock of your slow cooker the night before and refrigerate until morning. Then pop it into the slow cooker before setting off for the day.
Skinny on Low FatBean Barley Soup
To turn this into a vegetarian slow cooker bean barley soup, use vegetarian baked beans in tomato sauce and vegetable broth , instead of beef.
According to my calculations, each cup of this low-fat, high-fiber, thick and hearty slow cooker bean barley soup has 154 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Though probably technically NOT, I would also consider this a WW Simply Filling food too, but I’m in maintenance mode. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this low fat Crock Pot Bean & Barley Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Bean Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) baked beans in tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- In your slow cooker, combine the beans, potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, broth, barley and nutmeg.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until the vegetables are tender and soup is bubbling.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Source: Slightly adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna-Marie Pye.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker bean barley soup, you might also like:
- WW Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Baked Bean Soup
- Chicken Salsa White Bean Soup
Here’s what I used to make this easy and delicious, Weight Watchers friendly, slow cooker bean and barley soup!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!