WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread with Molasses
I made this whole wheat bread to go with slow cooker baked beans. Hearty and flavorful, it was the perfect way to sop up those rich and delicious baked bean juices and round out our meal.
I continue to be amazed at how much success I'm having baking recipes, like this slow cooker whole wheat bread, in the crock pot.
It's no surprise how much I liked it, given my affection for simple, wholesome quick breads. Both Rod and Mom liked it too.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Slow Cooker Bread?
According to my calculations each slice has 158 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you've made this low fat Crock Pot Whole Wheat Molasses Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread with Molasses
- 2-½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-⅔ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup molasses
- Grease a loaf pan that will fit in your slow cooker. (I used an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.)
- Create a trivet that will fit into the bottom of your slow cooker. You can make a coil from aluminum foil. Or use several of the metal rings from canning jars, which is what I do.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda until well blended.
- In another bowl stir together the yogurt and molasses.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scrape the dough into your loaf pan.
- Place in your slow cooker.
- Cover and prop the lid open at one end with a wooden spoon handle or chopstick to let steam escape.
- Cook on HIGH and cook for 2-½ to 3-½ hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Alternatively, you can cook in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour)
- Carefully remove the loaf pan from your slow cooker and cool on a rack for 15 minutes and then remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely or enjoy warm.
Source: Adapted from How to Cook Everything: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food (affiliate link) by Mark Bittman
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooked low fat whole wheat bread you might also like:
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
We like our bread light and fluffy. This was heavy and course. Not one I would try again.
Yes, Mary, this is definitely not a light and fluffy bread!
The dough is amazing! It's in the crockpot now. It IS a heavy dough/bread, but sweet. I used greek yogurt. Have you made anything else with this recipe, like English muffins or bagels? Just curious.
Glad you liked the dough. I loved it but haven't tried to make anything else with it yet. If you experiment would love to learn what you discover!
Can this recipe be baked in regular oven? What temp?
Hi Didi, Yes you can bake this in a regular oven. I'd say 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Hope this helps!
How many Freestyle Points per serving, please and thank you! Am making your crock pot baked beans right now! Can't wait to try them!
Hi Beverly, The Freestyle SmartPoints per serving for this slow cooker whole wheat bread with molasses is 5. I've updated the recipe.
Easy! Dangerously delicious!