(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 55 – Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread)
I made this slow cooker whole wheat bread to go with slow cooker baked beans. Hearty and flavorful, it was the perfect way to sop up those rich and delicious baked bean juices and round out our meal.
Everyone knows this time of year can be challenging. The thermometer is dropping and you naturally long for warm and satisfying comfort food.
Plus, the days are short. And the weather is cool.
The season of never ending string of Christmas and New Years parties all tax your willpower and endanger your waistline.
Thankfully Eat Stop Eat actually gives you the freedom to indulge in those joyful treats while still losing weight and experiencing growing energy and health.
I continue to be amazed at how much success I’m having baking recipes, like this slow cooker whole wheat bread, in the crock pot.
It’s no surprise how much I liked it, given my affection for simple, wholesome quick breads. But both Rod and Mom liked it too.
According to my calculations each slice has 158 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2/3 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup molasses
- Grease a loaf pan that will fit in your slow cooker. (I used an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.)
- Create a trivet that will fit into the bottom of your slow cooker. You can make a coil from aluminum foil. Or use several of the metal rings from canning jars, which is what I do.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda until well blended.
- In another bowl stir together the yogurt and molasses.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scrape the dough into your loaf pan.
- Place in your slow cooker.
- Cover and prop the lid open at one end with a wooden spoon handle or chopstick to let steam escape.
- Cook on HIGH and cook for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Alternatively, you can cook in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour)
- Carefully remove the loaf pan from your slow cooker and cool on a rack for 15 minutes and then remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely or enjoy warm.
Source: Adapted from How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker whole wheat bread calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this slow cooker whole wheat bread you might also like:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.