Heres’s a simple wholesome low fat whole wheat quick bread that bakes up moist, dense, and not too sweet.
Though delicious at breakfast, I love it served with soup and/or salad at lunch or supper.
I adapted the recipe for this whole wheat quick bread slightly from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary, where it’s described in the headnotes as “brown as a chestnut, moist, and honest in taste” and from the 10th Edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook , where it’s called “Quick Graham Bread.”
The Skinny on Whole Wheat Quick Bread
(When I see the word graham, I immediately think of graham crackers, but whole wheat flour used to be called, “graham flour” so often shows up that way in older cookbooks.)
If your not a fan of whole wheat flour or molasses, this probably isn’t the best bread for you, since the whole wheat flavor really comes through.
To keep the PointsPlus value at 4 per slice, I decreased the butter by 1 tablespoon and flour by 1/4 cup, which didn’t seem to change the flavor or texture as far as I could tell.
If you prefer, you could always turn this low fat whole wheat quick bread recipe into muffins. Just divide the batter evenly amongst the cups of a standard muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Low Fat Whole Wheat Quick Bread Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Grease a standard 9x5-inch loaf pan. (I coated mine with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, buttermilk, and molasses and stir until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes or so.
- Remove bread from the pan and place it directly on the wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Source: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked low fat whole wheat quick bread you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!