Heres’s a simple wholesome low fat whole wheat quick bread that bakes up moist, dense, and not too sweet.
Though delicious at breakfast, I love it served with soup and/or salad at lunch or supper.
I adapted the recipe for this whole wheat quick bread slightly from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary, where it’s described in the headnotes as “brown as a chestnut, moist, and honest in taste” and from the 10th Edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook , where it’s called “Quick Graham Bread.”
The Skinny on Whole Wheat Quick Bread
(When I see the word graham, I immediately think of graham crackers, but whole wheat flour used to be called, “graham flour” so often shows up that way in older cookbooks.)
If your not a fan of whole wheat flour or molasses, this probably isn’t the best bread for you, since the whole wheat flavor really comes through.
To keep the PointsPlus value at 4 per slice, I decreased the butter by 1 tablespoon and flour by 1/4 cup, which didn’t seem to change the flavor or texture as far as I could tell.
If you prefer, you could always turn this low fat whole wheat quick bread recipe into muffins. Just divide the batter evenly amongst the cups of a standard muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Low Fat Whole Wheat Quick Bread Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Grease a standard 9x5-inch loaf pan. (I coated mine with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, buttermilk, and molasses and stir until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes or so.
- Remove bread from the pan and place it directly on the wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Source: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked low fat whole wheat quick bread you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!