WW Recipe of the Day: White Bean Sausage Soup with Escarole
There's nothing better on a cold night than a BIG bowl of homemade soup.
It warms you up from the inside out and makes all those winter blues seem to disappear, at least for a few minutes!
Here's a simple, healthy, hearty, satisfying soup I hope you'll try.
With Italian-style chicken sausage, tons of veggies, beans, and escarole, this low calorie soup is sure to make your belly warm, full, and happy.
Skinny on White Bean Sausage Soup with Escarole
Eating plenty of hearty flavorful soups like this white bean and sausage with escarole is one of the easiest, tastiest ways I know to increase my intake of vegetables.
This soup requires a bit of chopping, but comes together easily and is perfect for freezing, so you might want to consider doubling the recipe.
Escarole is one of those vegetables I cook with very infrequently so I forget how good it is.
If you are not familiar, it's a leafy lettuce in the endive family that holds up well to cooking. Not as strong as chard or kale, you will usually find it in the produce section next to the romaine lettuce.
Serve with warm, crusty bread for a yummy satisfying meal.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Soup?
According to my calculations each serving has 230 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Sausage White Bean Soup Recipe Variations:
no escarole? - substitute any leafy green of your choice such as spinach, kale, chard, etc.
vegetarian/vegan - replace the sausage with 1 or 2 additional cans of beans, and chicken broth with vegetable broth . Add more spices and seasonings such as liquid smoke , garlic, thyme, etc. to make up for loss of flavor the sausage provides.
different sausages - replace the Italian style chicken sausage with andouille, kielbasa, chorizo, etc, to take this soup in many different flavorful directions
spicy - add a pinch or two or three of crushed red pepper flakes
extra filling - add more vegetables - diced tomatoes, fresh or canned, would be good
If you enjoy this hearty white bean and sausage soup recipe, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Slow Cooker Bean Barley Soup, Chicken, White Bean & Salsa Soup, Slow Cooker Baked Bean Soup, WW Simply Filling Bean & Cabbage Soup and Slow Cooker Italian Pork & White Bean Stew
If you've made this Sausage and White Bean Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy White Bean & Sausage Soup Recipe
- 2 links Italian turkey sausage (7 ounces total), casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ head escarole, cut into 2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- Spray a Dutch oven or large saucepan with non-stick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring frequently to break up the sausage, until the sausage is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the water, beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole and simmer, covered, until the escarole is tender, 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- no escarole? - substitute any leafy green of your choice such as spinach, kale, chard, etc.
- vegetarian/vegan - replace the sausage with 1 or 2 additional cans of beans, and chicken broth with vegetable broth. Add more spices and seasonings such as liquid smoke, garlic, thyme, etc. to make up for loss of flavor the sausage provides.
- different sausages - replace the Italian style chicken sausage with andouille, kielbasa, chorizo, etc, to take this soup in many different flavorful directions.
- spicy - add a pinch or two or three of crushed red pepper flakes.
- extra filling - add more vegetables - diced tomatoes, fresh or canned, would be good.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
I used the following kitchen tools to make this soup:
This video shows another way to make Italian sausage soup:
This video demonstrates how to make a variation of this soup. Watch how HotandFlashy makes her version of kale, chicken sausage and white bean soup:
More Easy Healthy Tummy Warming Soup Recipes
- Navy Bean, Bacon & Spinach Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker White Bean Soup (EmilyBites)
- Hearty Lentil & Black Bean Soup (Cookin'Canuck)
- Spinach, Artichoke & White Bean Soup (LaaLoosh)
- White Bean & Ham Soup (DashingDish)
- Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean & Roasted Garlic Soup (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!