WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Spanish Tortilla with Peas & Mint
(230 calories | *2 WW SmartPoints)
A few months ago I hit a bonanza by booking a small hotel in Madrid that housed 7 tapas bars on the same small street. I had a only a few days in Madrid and spent a good long time just staying on the block and going to each and EVERY tapas bar.
One had excellent Cava sparkling wine, the next had delicious potatoes and then there was my favorite tiny bar where I had this wonderful and simple tortilla made with just green peas and freshened up with mint leaves.
The combo is sensational and the bonus is that it is simple to assemble and a good choice for 1 or 2 people.
I used frozen peas which worked fine and made the tortilla in a non-stick oven safe omelet pan. Plain non-fat Icelandic style yogurt is a good addition to the omelet as it adds a lot of richness without guilt.
Feel free to freeze the remaining peas for future tortillas/omelets or side dishes. If you want to use them up, sprinkle them on salads or heat in a small amount of olive oil or butter. Delicious!
How’s a Spanish Tortilla Different From a Mexican Tortilla?
Other than the name and the round shape, a Spanish tortilla is nothing like a Mexican tortilla. The Spanish tortilla is essentially an open-faced omelet—much more closely related to the Italian frittata—than the Mexican corn- or flour-based tortilla, which we in the US associate with as wraps for burritos. It’s often served at room temperature.
How’s a Spanish Tortilla Different from a Frittata?
The main difference has to do with where your grandmother is from. If she’s Italian it’s a frittata and if she’s Spanish it’s a tortilla. Otherwise these open-face omelets are really indistinguishable from one another.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Spanish Tortilla?
According to my calculations, this Spanish tortilla/omelet has 230 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Eggs are now Zero (0) SmartPoints on Weight Watchers.
Click here for the complete list of Zero Points Foods
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
How Should I Serve a Spanish Tortilla?
This high protein, low carb open faced omelet goes well with a small green salad and perhaps some warm crusty bread (baguette), which is all you really need to complete this snack and transform it into a WW friendly lunch or light supper. For a real treat, this is especially delicious with a flute of Spanish Cava. Enjoy!
different herbs: fresh parsley, cilantro and basil would all be good.
different vegetables: Diced zucchini or finely sliced thin stalks of asparagus, perhaps?
more traditional: add thinly sliced or diced cooked potatoes.
If you’ve made this Spanish Tortilla with Peas & Fresh Mint, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Spanish Tortilla with Peas & Mint
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt (I like Icelandic style)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to Broil.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, mint, pepper, paprika and cumin.
- Heat the olive oil in an 8-inch non-stick omelet pan.
- Cook the peas for 1 minute over medium heat and then pour in the egg mixture. Cook for 3 minutes or until the edges are set and the middle is still fairly runny.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how far the pan is from the heat source. When set, remove from the oven and season lightly with salt. Let cool for a few minutes before inverting the pan onto a plate.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
Additions/Variations:different herbs: fresh parsley, cilantro and basil would all be good. different vegetables: Diced zucchini or finely sliced thin stalks of asparagus, perhaps? more traditional: add thinly sliced or diced cooked potatoes.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Spanish Tortilla/Omelet, you might also like:
- Individual Ham, Cheese & Veggie Frittatas (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Denver Omelet in a Mug (HungryGirl)
- Microwave Mug Frittata (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Easy Slow Cooker Frittata (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Broccoli & Cheese Omelet (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!