Weight Watchers Spicy Turkey, Apple and Spinach Panini – 6 SmartPoints, 6 Points+
What’s not to like about thinly sliced apples, smoked turkey, spinach and cheddar layered between spicy mayo smeared multigrain bread and grilled until toasty and melty?
While flipping through WeightWatchers Year Round Fresh, my latest cookbook acquisition impulsively grabbed at yesterday’s WW Meeting, I came across this yummy looking and sounding panini. As luck would have it I had all the ingredients necessary to whip them up for lunch today.
Since I have neither a panini press or ridged grill pan, I made them using a couple heavy cast iron skillets. While my photo is not nearly as eye-catching as the one in the cookbook, this spicy grilled turkey, apple, spinach, cheddar sandwich was delicious.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Spicy Turkey, Apple and Spinach Panini
I made my own chipotle mayonnaise by stirring a little chipotle tabasco sauce into reduced fat mayo. And used a combination of baby spinach and arugula instead of only spinach because it’s what was in the fridge.
Since 1/2 sandwich is considered a serving, these panini are meant to be made with larger, 1-1/2 ounce slices of bread. You could substitute 2 slices of light bread and eat an entire sandwich for the same SmartPoints if you prefer.
(Speaking of SmartPoints, WW has launched its latest program, Beyond the Scale, with a new formula for calculating points. I was asked to take an early sneak peek and provide feedback. Click here to learn more about My First 3 Weeks Using SmartPoints.)
Rod found the combination of this panini different, but liked it. And he was pretty shocked when I told him it was a WeightWatchers recipe. Since I love the combination of apples and cheddar, this was a winner with me. Enjoy!
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat chipotle mayonnaise
- 4 slices (1-1/2 ounces each) multigrain bread
- 16 very think apple slices
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli smoked turkey breast
- 1 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- 2 slices (1 ounce each) reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Spread ½ tablespoon mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice. Top 2 of the bread slices evenly with apple slices, turkey, spinach and cheddar. Top with remaining 2 bread slices mayonnaise side down. Lightly spray sandwiches with olive oil nonstick spray.
- Spray a large ridged grill pan with olive oil nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Plan the sandwiches in the pan and top with another heave skillet to weigh them down. Cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crispy, 2-3 minutes on each side. Or grill each sandwich in a panini press. Cut each sandwich in half.
Tip: To add more spicy flavor to the sandwiches, use peppery baby arugula instead of spinach.
Source: Weight Watchers Year Round Fresh Cookbook
More Yummy Sandwiches for Weight Watchers
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.