WW Recipe of the Day: Healthy Bisquick Baking Mix Substitute
(137 calories | 5 5 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
The other day I was looking online for a healthyish substitute for Bisquick baking mix. And as it turns out, there are many opinions on how best to make your own Bisquick replacement.
What is in Bisquick mix?
Bisquick was originally created back in the 1930s as a shortcut for making fresh biscuits, but the mix has since become a staple in kitchens across the country and can be used to make a variety of other dishes.
The ingredients for Original Bisquick are listed as:
- bleached wheat flour (enriched with niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin and folic acid),
- corn starch,
- palm oil,
- leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate),
- canola oil,
- and distilled monoglycerides
You can also find Bisquick HeartSmart which is made with canola oil (which means it's lower in saturated fat and has no trans fat). As well as a gluten-free option.
Is Pancake Mix the Same as Bisquick?
Most pancake mixes are very similar to Bisquick and contain flour, leavening, salt and oil. Pancake mixes may contain slightly more sugar, though, resulting in a sweeter final product.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Healthy Baking Mix?
According to my calculations, each ¼-cup serving has 137 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
I found there are two main opinions when it comes to making your own healthy Bisquick replacement - those that include a sweetener of one kind or another, and those that do not.
I opted to make mine without any added sugar (or sweetener), figuring that if I'm using it for something sweet, I'll be adding some sweetener then.
The Bisquick replacement recipe I settled on is a simple one: just flour, baking powder, salt and cold butter.
How to Make Homemade Bisquick Step-by-Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Add the cold, cubed butter
and mix the ingredients on LOW (using the paddle attachment), until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Alternatively, you can cut the butter into the flour mixture using two forks or a pastry blender .
Step 4: Store your Bisquick baking mix in an airtight container in the refrigerator (or freezer) for up to 3 months.
I opted to make my baking mix a bit healthier by using ½ whole wheat flour and ½ all-purpose white flour.
Recipes Using Bisquick Baking Mix
Use this healthy Bisquick baking mix substitute in your favorite Impossibly Easy Pie recipe:
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie
- Impossible Brownie Pie
- Impossible Banana Bread Pie
- Impossible Chicken Sausage Pie
- Impossible Zucchini Pie
- Impossible Chicken Broccoli Pie
- Impossible Ham and Swiss Cheese Pie
- Impossible Turkey Taco Pie
- Impossible Chicken Pot Pie
If you've made this Healthy Bisquick Baking Mix Substitute, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy DIY Bisquick
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into cubes
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the a mixing bowl.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and mix the ingredients on LOW (using the paddle attachment) of a standard kitchen mixer, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Alternatively, you can cut the butter into the flour mixture using two forks or a pastry blender.
- Store your Bisquick baking mix in an airtight container in the refrigerator (or freezer) for up to 3 months.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Homemade Substitute for Bisquick Baking Mix, you might also like:
- Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Gluten-Free Mini Beet Brownie Bites
- Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
- Wheaties Coconut Cookies
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!