When you are desperate to lose weight, it's tempting to see how long you can go without eating. Unfortunately, it's an idea that can backfire big time.
Going too long between meals can make you tired and cranky (It sure does me) because your energy reserves get too low leading to overeating later. What's the point of starving yourself all day if you end up eating a whole day's calories and more from dinner through bedtime?
That's where healthy snacks come in. I'm not talking about mindless munching on junk. The key is to be strategic with your snacking to keep your hunger at bay, your blood sugar level and your thinking clear.
When you are really hungry, the right kinds of snacks can give you the stamina to power through your day and lose weight, instead of getting caught in the chocolate and caffeine trap. (Or even worse, the starve and binge cycle.) Think of it as hunger management.
3 Basic Rules for Healthy Snacks for Weight Watchers
- Don't snack if you are not hungry.
- Include some protein and/or fiber in your snacks. Protein keeps you feeling fuller longer than fat or carbs.
- Choose real foods, not highly processed manufactured snack packs.
24+ Healthy Snacks for Weight Watchers w/ SmartPoints
Here are some healthy snacks that will help you you feel energized and satisfied for hours. All have no more than 5 WW SmartPoints Value; most with just 2 to 3 WW SP.
By keeping a few of these easy healthy snack options around, you'll avoid falling victim to the vending machine or convenience mart danger zones 🙂
New Weight Watchers Freestyle Zero (0) SmartPoints Snacks
- Hard-boiled egg(s)
- Scrambled egg(s) with fat-free salsa
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt (1 cup) and berries/fruit (½ cup)
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Banana "ice cream" (0SP)
- Fruits/Veggies (apples, bananas, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, corn, cucumber, grapes, grapefruit, mango, oranges, peaches, pears, peppers, pineapple, tomato, zucchini, etc.)
- Corn and Tomato Salsa (0SP)
- Skinless chicken or turkey breast wrapped in lettuce leaves
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt mixed with 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix with bell pepper strips or baby carrots
- Vintage WW Coffee Fluff (0SP)
- WW Asian Style Cucumber Salad (0SP)
- WW 0 Points Garden Vegetable Soup (0SP)
- Green beans (cooked or canned) and salsa (0SP)
- Boneless, skinless chicken and Strawberry Salsa (0SP)
- Quick & Easy Chicken and Salsa Soup (0SP)
- Skinny Greek Herb Dip and Vegetables (0SP)
One (1) SmartPoints Snacks
- One-half cup nonfat cottage cheese and a piece of fruit (1 WW SP)
- Grapes and one (1) ounce low-fat cubed cheese (cheddar, swiss, colby, etc) (1 WWSP)
- Mini Baybel Light semisoft cheese (1) and fruit (1 WWSP)
- Skinny slow cooker pizza dip and celery sticks (1WWSP)
- One Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb wedge spread on cucumber slices (1 WW SP)
- Celery with 1 tablespoons light cream cheese and drizzle of hot sauce (1 WWSP)
- No Bake Peanut Buttery Cookie Dough Balls (1WWSP)
- Sweet Potato Banana Mini Muffins (1WWSP)
- Pepperoni Pizza Mini Muffins (1 WWSP)
- 4-Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (1WWSP)
Two (2) SmartPoints Snacks
- One-half cup baby carrots and 2 tablespoons hummus (2 WWSP)
- Carrots with 2 tablespoons low fat ranch dressing (2 WWSP)
- Pistachios, in shells (22) (2WWSP)
- Chocolate Almond Coconut Truffles (2 WWSP)
- A cup of broth based vegetable soup and 4 whole grain crackers (2 WW SP)
- 3 ounces shrimp with 2 tablespoons cocktail sauce (2WWSP)
- One-half cup nonfat Greek yogurt and 1 cup fresh strawberries with drizzle of honey (2 WW SP)
- Three ounces skinless turkey breast and sliced tomato on 1 slice whole-wheat bread (2 WW SP)
- Skinny mini corn dog muffins (2 WWSP)
- Six whole grain crackers and ⅓ cup water packed tuna, drained (2 WW SP)
- A medium apple or pear with 1 stick of string cheese (2 WW SP)
- Skinny ham salad on cucumber rounds
- One-half cup fat-free Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon all-fruit spread (2 WWSP)
- Microwave baked apple (2 WWSP)
- One cup blueberries with ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt and drizzle of maple syrup (2 WWSP)
- One-half cup nonfat cottage cheese with ½ cup crushed pineapple in juice (2 WWSP)
Three (3) SmartPoints Snacks
- Apple slices or banana with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 WW SP)
- Twelve whole almonds and 6 dried apricot halves (3 WW SP)
- Two stalks of celery with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 WW SP)
- Three cups light butter flavored popcorn (3 WW SP)
- Enlightened brand ice cream bars
- Slices of apple spread with 2 teaspoons peanut butter and drizzled with 1-½ teaspoons chocolate syrup (3SP)
- Strawberry dessert bruschetta (3 WWSP)
Four (4) SmartPoints Snacks
- Half an English muffin with 1 tablespoon pasta sauce and 1 ounce low-fat mozzarella cheese baked till bubbly (4 WW SP)
- WW Cottage Cheese "Danish" (4 WWSP)
- Twelve baked low-fat tortilla chips and ¼ cup fat free black bean dip (4 WWSP)
- One ounce of reduced fat cheese and 4 whole-grain crackers (4 WW SP)
- 1 cup red grapes with 2 ounces low fat cheddar or colby cheese and 10 almonds (4 WWSP)
- Quest bars (most varieties)
- Peanuts (about 30) (4WWSP)
- Six ounces vegetable juice and ⅛ cup mixed nuts (4 WWSP)
Five (5) SmartPoints Snacks
- A slice of whole wheat bread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and banana slices (5 WW SP)
Links to More Weight Watchers Snack Ideas:
- Snacks on the Go (Stockpiling Moms)
- 2 SmartPoint Snack Ideas (Life is Sweeter by Design)
- 50+ Weight Watchers SmartPoints Snacks (You Brew My Tea)
- WW Smart Snacks with SmartPoints (Meal Planning Mommies)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!