Have you heard of Greatist?
Neither had I until I was doing some research on Healthy Late Night Snacks.
If you Google the term, their post for 52 Healthier Versions of Classic Late Night Snacks comes back at the top of the list.
It’s a well written article complete with drool worthy food photography.
Scanning the list there were links to more than 50 recipes for things like bean-kale burgers with sweet potato wedges (17 ingredients, 1 hour 10 minutes cooking time), cauliflower crust pizza (10 ingredients, 50 minutes cooking time), grilled portobello, bell pepper and goat cheese sandwiches (12 ingredients, 34 minutes prep time), Healthy General Tso’s Chicken (14 ingredients, 45 minutes cooking time).
Seriously? Who writes this stuff and for whom?
I wouldn’t tackle the majority of these recipes on my most energetic day, never mind when I’m peering into the freezer and pantry hunting for healthy late night snacks!
And neither would anybody I know.
In all fairness, there were two approachable ideas that got my attention: Skinny Brownie in a Mug and Banana Cherry Garcia Soft Serve, which seemed doable provided I had frozen bananas and cherries in the freezer and could turn on the blender or food processor without waking up anyone 🙂
I don’t know about you, but when I hear “late night snack,” I’m thinking ice cream right from the carton, chips, Cheeze-Its, chocolate, or cheese and crackers. (Chinese food and burger combos are MEALS, NOT SNACKS!)
I want something NOW, not in an hour.
Which means healthy late night snacks need to be simple and practical, with 2 or 3 ingredients.
The key is to snack on food that won’t raise your blood sugar, create cravings, or pack on pounds.
Any of these simple light yet filling combinations should do the trick.
7 Simple Healthy Late Night Snacks
1. Popcorn. Have a 100-calorie pack of 94% fat-free microwave popcorn. Or air-pop your own. Skip the oil and butter. Season with your favorite spice(s) or a little grated Parmesan instead.
Need some seasoning ideas?
Here’s a great list of 23 Ways to top you popcorn for less than 150 calories from SparkPeople.
2. Apple and Nut Butter. Cut a crunchy apple into wedges. Spread each with a little bit of your favorite nut butter. Both almond butter and peanut butter work well.
3. Cheese Quesadilla. Sprinkle some grated low-fat cheese on half of a high-fiber tortilla, then fold in half and toast both sides in a nonstick skillet.
Cut into wedges and dip in your favorite salsa.
4. English Muffin Pizza. Spread a lightly toasted english muffin with tomato sauce, sprinkle with reduced fat cheese and broil until melty.
For a fancier version check out this Hawaiian English Muffin Pizza from Hungry Girl.
5. Cheese and Crackers. Spread a few of your favorite whole grain crackers (I like Triscuits) with a wedge or two of Laughing Cow cheese.
6. Chocolate Yogurt. Stir together nonfat Greek plain or vanilla yogurt, unsweetened cocoa powder and a little sweetener until well blended and cream.
7. Baby Carrots and Hummus: a healthy delicious fiber and protein packed combination, crunchy and satisfying.
Do you have favorite go-to healthy late night snacks??? Please Share!!!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Healthy Late Night Snack Ideas:
15 Clean Eating Snacks from Skinny Ms
5 Healthy Late Night Snacks from Women’s Health
5 Healthy Late Night Snacks from Self
The Best Late Night Snacks for Better Sleep from Cooking Light
Top Ten Healthy Midnight Snacks from Snack-Girl
24 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss from Simple Nourished Living
Easy 3-Ingredient Non Fat Frozen Strawberry Yogurt from Simple Nourished Living
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!