WW Recipe of the Day: Light Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
I've had a hankering for macaroni and cheese for a while, but not all the fat and calories.
So, I went in search of a lighter, healthier alternative.
This light stove top macaroni and cheese is just what I was looking for.
Easy and creamy, but without butter and processed cheese, it's a lighter alternative that doesn't sacrifice flavor.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Mac and Cheese?
I adjusted this recipe a bit to suit our tastes. Of course, a recipe like mac and cheese can be varied in lots of ways to suit your preferences.
According to my calculations, each generous ¾-cup serving of this lightened up mac & cheese has 322 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
9 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
WW Macaroni & Cheese Recipe Variations
pasta - use whatever shape pasta you prefer
cheese - use whatever cheese you prefer - American, Swiss, Cheddar, Gouda, Havarti, Parmesan, Feta, Cottage, etc. A combination is always nice.
more veg - broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas (add to macaroni during the last few minutes of cooking) chopped tomatoes (stir into the cheese sauce)
more protein - stir chopped cooked ham or a can of drained tuna into the cheese sauce
spicier - add more cayenne or hot sauce to the cheese sauce
no dry mustard - skip it or add in a little jarred Dijon mustard into the cheese sauce
baked - scrape the mixture into a greased baking dish and bake at 375F degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden
I love how this video from Cooking Light demonstrates making a cheese sauce without butter. It's a technique you can use when making any white sauce or cream sauce...
If you like this lightened up macaroni and cheese, be sure sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Light Macaroni & Cheese with Cauliflower, Baked Pasta with Zucchini & Cottage Cheese, Skinny Artichoke Baked Pasta, Mom's Easy Baked Chicken & Spinach Alfredo Ravioli and Light & Creamy Pasta Primavera.
Light Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 2-½ cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-¼ cups fat-free milk
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2-½ cups (10 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, make the cheese sauce. Place flour, dry mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into the milk mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture gently bubble until it thickens and the cream cheese melts, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until it melts.
- Add the pasta and stir until it is coated with the cheese sauce.
- pasta - use whatever shape pasta you prefer
- cheese - use whatever cheese you prefer - American, Swiss, Cheddar, Gouda, Havarti, Parmesan, Feta, Cottage, etc. A combination is always nice.
- more veg - broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas (add to macaroni during the last few minutes of cooking) chopped tomatoes (stir into the cheese sauce)
- more protein - stir chopped cooked ham or a can of drained tuna into the cheese sauce
- spicier - add more cayenne or hot sauce to the cheese sauce
- no dry mustard - skip it or add in a little jarred Dijon mustard into the cheese sauce
- baked - scrape the mixture into a greased baking dish and bake at 375F degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Lightened Up Recipes for Mac & Cheese Lovin' Weight Watchers
- Mega Mac and Cheese (HungryGirl)
- Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Macaroni & Cheese Italian-Style (SkinnyKitchen)
- Mac & Cheese Muffins (EmilyBites)
- Crock Pot Buffalo Mac & Cheese (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese (SkinnyTaste)
- Cheeseburger Mac Attack (HungryGirl)
- Skinny Alfredo Macaroni and Cheese (SkinnyKitchen)
- Cheesy Bacon Mac & Cheese Cups (DrizzleMeSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!