If you’ve got the hankering for an Almond Joy® candy bar, you may want to whip up a batch of these healthier chocolate almond coconut truffles instead.
One of these smooth and creamy homemade chocolate truffle balls has about half the calories of a snack size Almond Joy®! According to Hershey’s website, one snack size Almond Joy® bar has about 80 calories and 2* Weight Watchers PointsPlus. The regular size candy bar packs a walloping 220 calories and 6* PointsPlus.
If that’s not enough to make you pause. Just read through the ingredient list: CORN SYRUP; MILK CHOCOLATE [SUGAR; COCOA BUTTER; CHOCOLATE; MILK; LACTOSE; MILK FAT; NONFAT MILK; LECITHIN (SOY); PGPR (EMULSIFIER)]; COCONUT; SUGAR; ALMONDS (ROASTED IN SUNFLOWER OIL); CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: VEGETABLE OIL (PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL); COCOA; WHEY (MILK); SALT; HYDROLYZED MILK PROTEIN; LECITHIN (SOY); SODIUM METABISULFITE (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS)
The Skinny on Healthy Chocolate Almond Coconut Truffles
These simple chocolate truffles, made with just a few ingredients, deliver all the flavors of Hershey’s notorious candy bar, with only 46 calories and 2* Weight Watchers SmartPoints per piece. While not exactly health food, made with avocado, instead of butter they’re a more wholesome chocolate treat.
If you don’t care for the almond flavor, just leave out the almond extract and you’ll be left with pure creamy, chocolate delight 🙂
Using a rounded teaspoon for rolling will provide you with about 28 chocolate balls. The larger you roll them, the fewer truffles you’ll end up with. Enjoy!
Healthy Chocolate Almond Coconut Truffles
- 2/3 cup avocado whipped (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Blend the avocado in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add in cocoa powder, vanilla and almond extract and continue processing until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips in 30 second increments until melted. Stir well to ensure all chips are melted and chocolate smooth.
- Stir avocado mixture into the melted chocolate until well mixed.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When you're ready to roll truffles, add sweetened coconut flakes to a shallow bowl.
- Roll rounded teaspoon of chocolate mixture into a small ball and roll in coconut to coat evenly.
- Store chocolate truffles in refrigerator until ready to serve.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
*PointsPlus and SmartPoints for healthy chocolate almond coconut truffles calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Recipe source: Food Faith Fitness
A Few More Wholesome Holiday Treats for Weight Watchers