Peter and I spent several hours together in the kitchen last Thursday making and baking a variety of Weight Watchers friendly sweet treats perfect for the holidays. We made healthier sugar cookies, chocolaty candy-cane triangles, healthier chocolate almond coconut truffles, and my personal favorite, these Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies from the most recent issue of Weight Watchers Magazine (NOV/DEC 2014)
I love oatmeal cookies in all their variations and this one is no exception. Packed with chopped dried cranberries and crystallized ginger they bake up moist, sweet and chewy with a delightful SPICY BITE.
Skinny on Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies
These Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies are simple drop cookies that are lower in fat. The recipe calls for a couple of things you’ll probably have to shop for: a jar of baby food prunes and crystallized candied ginger , which I find at Trader Joe’s in with the nuts and dried fruit.
You could probably substitute unsweetened applesauce for the prunes.
The recipe called for quick cooking oats, but we only had old-fashioned, so made the switch.
Bake them less long and they turn out moist and chewy, longer and they become more scone like, less moist, but still chewy. Pete preferred them less done; me more.
According to the nutritional details provided with the recipe, each cookie has 87 calories, *2 Weight Watchers Points Plus and *4 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Weight Watchers Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup baby food prune puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup uncooked oats quick or old-fashioned
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger chopped
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray (I use silpat silicone liners instead.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light fluffy. Stir in the egg, prune puree and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, a little at a time, stirring until just combined. Then stir in the oats, cranberries and ginger, just until mixed in.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls, onto the baking sheets, spaced at least 2 inches apart. (You should end up with 28 cookies.)
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets.
Source: Weight Watchers Magazine Nov/Dec 2014
More Yummy Cranberry Recipes for Weight Watchers:
- Banana Cranberry Muffins
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake
- Easy Cranberry Nut Bread Made in the Slow Cooker
- Cranberry White Chocolate Crock Pot Cookie Bars
- Low-Fat Cranberry Walnut Rugalach
- Low-Fat Mini Cranberry Nut Bread Loaves
- Skinny Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Low-Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Scones
- Skinny Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Banana Cranberry Bread
- Lemon Cranberry Scones
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Muffins
- Skinny Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake Squares
- Merry Cranberry Pear Tarts
- Skinny Morning Maple Cranberry Bars
- Dark Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!