WW Recipe of the Day: Low Fat Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies
(87 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per cookie)
Peter and I spent several hours together in the kitchen last Thursday making and baking a variety of Weight Watchers friendly sweet treats perfect for the holidays.
We made healthier sugar cookies, chocolaty candy-cane triangles, healthier chocolate almond coconut truffles, and my personal favorite, these Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies from Weight Watchers Magazine.
I love oatmeal cookies in all their variations and this one is no exception. Packed with chopped dried cranberries and crystallized ginger they bake up moist, sweet and chewy with a delightful SPICY BITE.
Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies Recipe Details
These Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies are simple drop cookies that are lower in fat. The recipe calls for a couple of things you’ll probably have to shop for: a jar of baby food prunes and crystallized candied ginger, which I find at Trader Joe’s in with the nuts and dried fruit.
You could probably substitute unsweetened applesauce for the prunes.
The recipe called for quick cooking oats, but we only had old-fashioned, so made the switch. Another option would be to pulse the old-fashioned oats a few times in your food processor or blender to make them more like the consistency of quick cooking oats.
It’s worth mentioning that cookie baking is a lot more fun with the right tools. I love my Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mats, Half-Sheet Pans & Tablespoon Scoop 🙂
Bake these cookies less long and they turn out moist and chewy, longer and they become more scone like, less moist, but still chewy. Peter preferred them less done; me more.
How Many WW Points/Calories in these Oatmeal Cookies with Cranberry & Ginger?
According to the nutritional details provided with the recipe, each cookie has 87 calories and
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like these Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies, be sure to check out my other WW Friendly cookie recipes, including No-Bake Rice Krispie Date Balls, Holiday M&M Cookies, No-Bake Peanut Buttery Chocolate Cookie Dough Balls, Chocolate Caramel Mini Oat Cookie Bars and Easy Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
If you’ve made these Oatmeal Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Low Fat Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup baby food prune puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup uncooked oats, quick or old-fashioned
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- Heat the oven to 375F degrees. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray (I use silpat silicone liners instead.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light fluffy. Stir in the egg, prune puree and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, a little at a time, stirring until just combined. Then stir in the oats, cranberries and ginger, just until mixed in.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls, onto the baking sheets, spaced at least 2 inches apart. (You should end up with 28 cookies.)
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets.
Source: Weight Watchers Magazine Nov/Dec 2014
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Light and Healthy Recipes Featuring Cranberries for Weight Watchers
- Banana Cranberry Muffins
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake
- Easy Cranberry Nut Bread Made in the Slow Cooker
- Cranberry White Chocolate Crock Pot Cookie Bars
- Low-Fat Cranberry Walnut Rugalach
- Low-Fat Mini Cranberry Nut Bread Loaves
- Skinny Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Low-Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Scones
- Skinny Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Banana Cranberry Bread
- Lemon Cranberry Scones
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Muffins
- Skinny Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake Squares
- Merry Cranberry Pear Tarts
- Skinny Morning Maple Cranberry Bars
- Dark Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Originally published December 2014; Updated with new text, photos, WW SmartPoints 12/2019