(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 94)
For a long time I resisted recipes for any kind of cabbage soup.
I automatically associated “cabbage soup” with the boring bland Cabbage Soup Diet recipe.
And I decided years ago that life was too short to subject myself to boring bland food in the name of weight loss ever again.
Easy, healthy and delicious, this crock pot sweet and sour cabbage soup is the opposite of bland!
Super simple to toss together.
And tastes even better when reheated.
Think of it as meatless stuffed cabbage you eat with a spoon.
Each cup of this easy, healthy and delicious crock pot sweet and sour cabbage soup has just 78 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus. And though it’s not technically simply filling (because of the brown sugar) it’s close enough for me to consider it so
- 1 small head green cabbage (1 to 1-1/4 pounds, 7 cups chopped)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream for garnish, if desired
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- In your slow cooker, combine the cabbage, onion, broth, tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, salt, pepper, vinegar and brown sugar.
- Stir to mix everything together.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the cabbage is very tender.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and dollop with a spoonful of yogurt or sour cream.
Source: Adapted from Slow & Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker
If you liked crock pot sweet and sour cabbage soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for crock pot sweet and sour cabbage soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.