(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 178 – Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup)
I’ve been on a bit of an Italian food kick recently.
I just can’t seem to get enough of it.
So, when I came across this recipe for a lighter version Paula Deen’s Tastes Like Lasagna Soup on Spectacled Owl’s Roundup of 50 Weight Watchers Recipes for Weight Loss it went right to the top of my “Recipes to Try” list.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
I adapted Paula Deen’s Sons’ Take It Lighter recipe, turning it into an even lighter slow cooker lasagna soup. The lighter recipe already was much skinnier than Paula’s original, with 404 fewer calories and 28 fewer grams of fat.
By using the microwave and slow cooker I was able to eliminate the need for additional oil altogether, shaving off about 1 points plus per serving. I also used fewer lasagna noodles and added 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms.
This slow cooker lasagna soup was even more delicious than I had hoped.
So much easier than lasagna, but with all the same delicious flavors, I’ll be making this slow cooker lasagna soup again the next time I need an Italian food fix!
- 1 pound Italian turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped (I used a combination)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 teaspoons jarred)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 3 to 4 noodles)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 5-Quart
- Put the the sausage and chopped onion in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, breaking up any large pieces of sausage.
- Stir in the bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt and crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on LOW until the sausage and vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles, cover and cook on HIGH, until tender, about 30 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the basil, mozzarella and Parmesan.
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker lasagna soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked slow cooker lasagna soup, you might also like…
I made this slow cooker Italian Soup in my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Slow Cooker, 4-QuartToday’s Food for Thought
“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.”
~ May Sarton
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.