Shredded green and red cabbage, carrots, chopped scallions, toasted sesame seeds, and pineapple tidbits tossed with a zingy low fat bottled Asian vinaigrette. To keep this low fat Asian slaw super quick and easy I used already shredded red & green cabbage mix.
This Fast Asian Slaw Recipe from The Dinner Doctor cookbook popped into my head as I was trying to come up with another easy salad or side dish to go with our completely nontraditional Memorial Day dinner of baked ham, potato salad, and Mom’s broccoli casserole.
I thought “coleslaw,” but didn’t want a creamy one. Don’t get me wrong, I love creamy coleslaw, but it would have been too much mayonnaise on the menu, since we already had it going on in the potato salad and broccoli casserole.
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
Skinny on Easy Low Fat Asian Slaw
Using pre-shredded coleslaw mix and bottled Asian vinaigrette (I like Newman’s Own Lighten Up! Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing with only 35 calories and 1.5 g fat in a 2 tablespoons serving) saves a ton of time too.
To toast the sesame seeds, place them in a heavy skillet over medium heat and stir them until the begin to darken slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Then remove them from the pan immediately so they don’t burn.
According to my calculations each serving has 72 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus
- 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 4 scallions, chopped (both white and green parts)
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup lowfat Asian sesame ginger dressing (such as Newman's Own)
- Place the coleslaw mix, scallions, drained pineapple tidbits, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the mixture and toss to combine well.
- Serve the slaw right away or cover it and refrigerate it for up to 3 days
The volume of each serving will depend on how long this slaw sits, as it will get more compact with time.
Source: adapted from The Dinner Doctor
*PointsPlus® for this easy Asian Slaw calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you like this post and recipe for Quick & Easy Low Fat Asian Slaw, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for Citrus Spinach Salad with Zesty Lime Vinaigrette
- My post and recipe for Asian-inspired Satay Chicken Pasta Salad that also uses bottled Asian vinaigrette
- Creamy Coleslaw with Greek yogurt and apples (Laaloosh)
- Cooking Light’s Tangy Mustard Coleslaw (MyRecipes)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.