WW Recipe of the Day: Sugar-Free Low Carb Tomato Sauce
(24 calories | *0 WW SmartPoints)
Fresh tomato sauce is one of my long time staples because it is so versatile. The problem with many jarred sauces is that they contain added sugars and fat.
Besides being low carb and high flavor, because it is free of added fat and sugar, this simple tomato sauce is also low calorie so it’s basically guilt-free too.
Any leftovers freeze beautifully so are ready to go when needed.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Low Carb Tomato Sauce Recipe?
According to my calculations, each 4-ounce serving has 24 calories, **0 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Low Carb Tomato Sauce Recipe Notes
I normally like tomato sauce that’s a little chunkier rather than a smooth puree. I enjoy the texture—however if you prefer a smooth sauce, just process a few seconds longer and it’s done.
Any canned tomato will work with this—I used whole, plum ones without additional salt, adding salt to taste at the end of the cooking.
Toss the garlic and quartered onion in the processor and make one step of mincing both by pulsing both for a few seconds. Add them, un-chopped to the processor when blending; it’s easier and they will chop up quickly.
Here’s another good trick. Pour the whole tomatoes into the pot. As they begin to cook, use a kitchen shears to roughly chop them up. It’s easy and avoids any mess.
Simple Tomato Sauce Serving Suggestions
This is an easy tomato sauce with a rich and satisfying taste, so serve simple side dishes like a tossed salad or grilled veggies. A spoonful of the sauce on the veggies is also delightful.
Ways to Use Leftover Tomato Sauce
Freeze the leftovers in small 1/2- to 1-cup containers so you can pull out just the right amount when you’re ready to use it.
If you’ve made this Sugar-Free Tomato Sauce, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Sugar-Free Low Carb Tomato Sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, whole, peeled with juice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Place the garlic and onion in a processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Place the tomatoes in a large pot with the onion mixture. Add the wine, pepper flakes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and when cool enough to handle, place in blender with basil.
- Process to a chunky puree.
- Cool completely then store, covered in the refrigerator.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Simple Low Fat Tomato Sauce, you might also like:
- Skinny Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
- Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
- WW Chicken and Polenta with Zucchini Tomato Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Zero WW Freestyle SmartPoints Recipe Roundup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!