I love soup. Eating a bowl of soup for lunch and/or dinner several times a week is one of my favorite strategies for staying slim.
Did you know that studies show that people who eat a broth-based soup as part of a meal, especially a chunky one, eat less at the next meal, and fewer total calories throughout the day? Probably because broth based vegetable soups are packed with lots of water and fiber, so you feel satisfied with relatively few calories. Great new for Weight Watchers!
After all the indulgences of the past few weeks, I actually find myself craving basic soups, like this super simple slow cooker bean and cabbage soup that also works with the Simply Filling Technique. It’s the easiest, tastiest, most nourishing way I know to get back on plan.
The Skinny on Weight Watchers Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean & Cabbage Soup
I adapted it for the slow cooker from Weight Watchers Momentum Healthy Cooking Basics, a great healthy cooking reference book filled with 175 delicious recipes and 10 essential cooking techniques.
(This Weight Watchers cookbook is from 2008, so it gives Points instead of PointsPlus values, but complete nutritional information is provided so you can easily calculate the PointsPlus for every recipe.)
This slow cooker bean and cabbage soup is easy, healthy and satisfying. Each Serving has 198 calories ,*5 Weight Watchers Points Plus and *4 SmartPoints. Why not make a big batch this weekend to enjoy all week long? That’s certainly my plan. Enjoy!
- 2 cans (15 ounces) white beans (cannellini or great northern), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Use a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker.
- First puree 1 can of the beans with a little water in your blender or food processor.
- Combine the pureed beans and remaining ingredients in a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
This also works with the Simply Filling Technique.
Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers Momentum Healthy Cooking Basics
*PointsPlus® for Weight Watchers Simply Filling Slow Cooker Cabbage Bean Soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!