Wow! This slow cooker turkey green chili chowder recipe is a real keeper.
It’s creamy, delicious, light and nutritious. Healthy comfort food in a bowl.
I came across the recipe for it in Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, early last week while looking for a soup to make with leftover turkey other than my standard turkey noodle.
It had been submitted by a woman in Rio Rancho, New Mexico (where they really know their green chile) so I had a feeling it would be a winner.
I made a couple minor changes: using a can of chopped green chiles instead of fresh (since that’s what I had on hand) and adding a can of green chile enchilada sauce to kick up the canned chiles a bit.
This slow cooker turkey green chili chowder reminded me of my mom’s corn chowder, only zippier and heartier, thanks to the addition of green chilies and turkey.
And it makes a big batch – a full 12 cups – which is a lot when you’re a family of two.
We had it for dinner twice which wasn’t a sacrifice since it was so good. I shared a container of it with my mom who also enjoyed it. And there was enough left for a few quick and easy lunches too. I love recipes that allow me to cook once and then eat two, three or more times.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium-size potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup canned chopped green chilies (mild to medium heat)
- 1 can (12 ounces) green chile enchilada sauce (mild to medium heat)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) creamed corn
- ½ cup cubed fat-free-cheese of your choice
- 1 can fat-free evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, soften the vegetables in a skillet. Melt the butter in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the celery and onions and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the celery and onions into your slow cooker (5 to 6 quart-size is best) then add the cooked turkey, broth, potatoes, chilies, enchilada sauce and corn. Give the mixture a stir and then cover and cook on low until the potatoes are soft, 5 to 6 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, stir in the cheese and milk.
- If you want you can mash the soup a few times with a potato masher or use your immersion blender to give it a thicker consistency.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired.
*PointsPlus® slow cooker turkey green chili chowder calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Apple Sausage
- Skinny Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham & Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!