Skinny, healthy, and delicious broccoli cheese muffins.
If you’re one of those people who thinks that muffins and quick breads have to be sweet to be good, I hope these savory broccoli cheese muffins help change your mind!
Looking for something a little different to highlight broccoli, this week’s 38 Power Foods group ingredient, I happened upon a recipe for fresh broccoli Parmesan muffins, in what has to be the best muffin cookbook of all time, 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites. (You can read my full review here.)
Fridays, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, is posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
If you haven’t seen the book, it’s definitely worth taking a peek. I’m more pleased with it with each passing week. The 38 Power Foods are categorized into 5 chapters: 1) Vegetables; 2) Fruits; 3) Grains and Legumes; 4) Nuts and Seeds; and 5) Eggs, Yogurt and Fish. Along with recipes for each ingredient, there’s interesting health information, as well as buying, storing, and preparation tips, making it a useful resource for anyone wanting to eat healthier.
This week’s Power Foods Ingredient is you guessed it – broccoli.
Not a week goes by when we don’t eat broccoli or broccolini at least once or twice, which turns out to be a good thing for our health. Packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that act like a broom to sweep away all kinds of cancer-causing free radicals, broccoli is the most nutritious cruciferous vegetable you can eat!
Since I love broccoli and muffins, combining the two seemed like a winning idea. I adapted the recipe slightly to make it Weight Watchers friendly and divided it in half to make 6 muffins instead of 12. (Portion control is one of my favorite strategies for staying slim.)
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, lightly cooked, drained and cooled to room temperature
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- ½ cup coarsely grated reduced-fat cheese
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat your oven to 400 F degrees.
- Line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, olive oil, sugar, and mustard until well blended. Stir in the broccoli, scallions and ¼ cup of the cheese.
- Add the egg broccoli mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Divide the batter equally among the 6 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 18-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins from the pan directly to the wire rack.
- Serve warm or let cool completely.
If you liked this post and recipe for skinny broccoli cheese muffins check out these links:
- Slim & Healthy Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli
- Health Benefits of Broccoli (The World’s Healthiest Foods)
- Review of 750 Best Muffin Recipes Cookbook
For more great delicious broccoli recipes, check out the blogs of these fabulous food-blogging ladies who are participating in the 38 Power Foods group today:
Alyce from More Time at the Table
Ansh from Spice Roots
Jeanette from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Jill from Saucy Cooks
Mireya from My Healthy Eating Habits
Sarah from Everything in the Kitchen Sink
Casey from Bookcase Foodie
Bambi from Adobo Down Under
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.